Send error: Polygon input not valid

01-17-2020 11:02 AM
JasonJordan00
Occasional Contributor

I have a survey using geoshape however we are getting an error if we try to collect a new record. 

"24305: The polygon input is not valid because the ring does not have enough distinct points. Each ring much contain at least three distinct points."

The polygons we are drawing *definitely* have more than 3 points. We have many records preloaded into the feature service and most of the work is done using the inbox. Updating those records has been no issue in the field.

Other surveys using polygons have worked without a problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

21 Replies
JenniferLidgett
New Contributor II

I can also confirm that I am having the same issue when I use an existing service.

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Jennifer and Jason for confirming that you're seeing the same behavior. We have a ticket open with Esri support. If a bug gets filed, we'll report back with the bug number so you can follow its status.

We thought we had a work around, but that's not working either. We created a 'dummy' polygon layer that we added to a web map. We then used Arcade to create a custom expression that we added to the popup of that feature. That link passed the vertex coordinates to S123. I've confirmed that the coordinates passed are of a closed polygon, but once it's in S123, S123 doesn't close the polygon when submitting the feature.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone made any progress with this?  To throw in a bit more of a twist, I have a survey that was working, made in Connect 3.9.120 that is now showing the same 24305 error in the mobile app Ver 3.9.149 on Windows 10 and iPad Mini 4 with IOS 13.5.1.  The survey worked yesterday at field testing.  The survey does point at an existing feature service.  Other than some minor default and choice value changes, the only other change I made was to make the fields editable again in the feature service details visualization tab>pop-up>Attributes.  I made that change by accident yesterday to the main service instead of the view which is exposed in Collector.  

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Jim, we don't have any additional updates. Our support case is still open. Esri has been unable to reproduce the error on their end. In fact, we can only reproduce the error in the affected feature services. If we publish a 'fresh' feature service and try to reproduce the error, we are unable to do so. If a bug gets filed or we get some other resolution, we'll update here.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for letting me know.  FYI: In further testing, I found that it is only the freeform polygon tool in Survey123 that is causing the issue.  The canned block/triangle tool is working and submits a polygon on my survey.  Good luck with the issue.  I'm under the gun a bit so am working to get a new service created.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Jim, it sounds like yours is a different issue. The main issue we're seeing is when using method=vertex that S123 is not closing the polygon. When using method=sketch and using the free sketch tool, you have to be very careful not to cross over your polygon. S123 only supports simple polygons. In our testing, it was very difficult to create a simple polygon (without crossing over itself) using the freeform tool and the Smart Shape tool didn't really create what we were trying to sketch.

DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Jimmy, this fixed the issue for me.  

The problem did start about a week after using "Optimize Layer Drawing" setting, but method=vertex still didn't work after disabling, it, pushing an update and trying a new submittal.  removing method=sketch from the geoshape question works fine now.  

0 Kudos
HaticeKorkulu2
New Contributor II

Hello Jennifer,

Did you find a solution? I have same problem too.

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Just wanted to let folks know that we found what was causing the issue for us while working with Esri support. We had 'Optimize Layer Drawing' enabled for the layer in question. Once this was disabled, method=vertex worked. We'll let you know if a bug gets filed for this behavior.

UPDATE: This was attached to existing BUG-000127298 for our support case.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for reporting back!  That solved our issue also.  -Jim

0 Kudos