select_one choice strikethrough when opened by inbox

03-13-2018 08:59 AM
GlenGardner1
New Contributor III

When going through inbox to view/edit a submitted survey the selections from the select_one questions are displaying as their codes with strikethroughs. This behavior does not happen if using autocomplete as compared to the preferred minimal appearance.

Select_one Strike-through

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Glen,

I would be interested to know more about the design of your survey.  Are you using cascading selects by chance?

If possible, would you be willing to share your XLSForm so that we can investigate potential causes for this behavior?  If you are able, please upload the form in a reply to this message, or reply via email which I will provide in a personal message on GeoNet.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
BradenBurkholder
Occasional Contributor

Was there ever any resolution to this question? I have a similar issue:

Strikethrough on Repeat Records 

0 Kudos
KatieWise
New Contributor II

I am also having a similar issue.  Is there a way I can have someone view my form to see what the issue may be?  I am updating my form almost daily for teams in the field so I am sure something has gone bonkers along the way.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mary,

This is an issue we have addressed in the next release.  You can verify by trying out the version of Survey123 available in the Early Adopter Community.

0 Kudos
GlenGardner1
New Contributor III

Yes it uses cascading selects.

Sent by email. It is a modified version of the Agricultural Solution.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

After taking a look at the XLSForm it appears that the strikethrough is being caused by a ‘Null’ value that takes part in the cascading select formula of following questions. 

The first question in the survey is hidden (name is active_status), has a default value of active, and has been set to 'Null' in the 'bind::esri:fieldType' column.  By setting this parameter to Null, it means that the value will not persist in the feature layer, but can be used in memory until the initial survey is submitted. 

The second (select_one) question contains a formula in the choice filter column which references this default value of 'active'... active_value=${active_status} and also has a default value set for each of the choices in the choice list.

This means that the second question is dependent upon the value in the ${active_status} question, which is fine during the initial submission of the survey.  However, when then using the Inbox to query the existing record, the ${active_status} is no longer there to be queried, as it has been set to 'Null'.  Again, this means that the value is never actually written to the feature layer.

In reality, there should be no values shown at all, but we see that there is an attempt to still apply the default value.  The default value is shown with a strikethrough appearance even though the choice filter does not have the ${active_status} value necessary to properly apply the choice filter.

0 Kudos