Select one cascade choice filter - make some choices relevant to more than one previous choice

Jump to solution
11-22-2020 02:21 PM
JulietK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I am looking for ways to make the choice list of the child select_one choice be relevant to more than one options selected in the parent select_one choice. 

For example, I have the choice list of Site to be filtered by Location. 

JulietK_5-1606083136870.png

JulietK_3-1606082969533.png

However, I would like to have the choices in Site to be filtered by more than one Location choice, example below: 

JulietK_4-1606083037387.png 

So that 'Tomato' would be shown on the list when A is selected, and also show when C is selected. I've tried separating the parent choices with a comma as above but it doesn't work, and I've also tried separating with OR (e.g. A OR C) which did not work either. With both comma and OR, the choices list for Site was not displayed at all or the dropdown arrow was not offered (for autocomplete appearance).

Is this type of choice filter possible at all, and if so, how should I separate the parent choices? I've done google searches and community searches but haven't been able to find any mentions of anything similar.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's actually quite simple! Just add duplicate rows for the additional choices you'd like to include. Using the example you gave, it would look like this:

List NameNameLabelLocation
Site1TomatoA
Site1Tomato

C

To share a real-world example we use Surevy123 for an inter-departmental document workflow, and there are various combinations of choices in other questions that will depend on the status field. For instance, if the status is set to "Assessor Review", the review result field will only allow for the choices "Combination", "Good Legal", "Not GIS Relevant", or "Split", and will only allow the department field to be set to "assr".

jCarlson_0-1606086099913.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's actually quite simple! Just add duplicate rows for the additional choices you'd like to include. Using the example you gave, it would look like this:

List NameNameLabelLocation
Site1TomatoA
Site1Tomato

C

To share a real-world example we use Surevy123 for an inter-departmental document workflow, and there are various combinations of choices in other questions that will depend on the status field. For instance, if the status is set to "Assessor Review", the review result field will only allow for the choices "Combination", "Good Legal", "Not GIS Relevant", or "Split", and will only allow the department field to be set to "assr".

jCarlson_0-1606086099913.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JulietK

Hi Josh, thank you for the response! That is very helpful 🙂 

AshleyPeters
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to create something similar to this, but I do not have a Location column in my choices tab. Is that a custom column?

0 Kudos
JulietK

Hi yes its a custom column, you can just name the column yourself and make sure the choice filter column for the relevant field refers to it correctly 🙂 e.g. columnname=${fieldnamewithchoices}

AshleyPeters
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you!

0 Kudos