Seeking help w/ Grid Theme and Pages with Survey 123

08-30-2019 10:18 AM
DaveThompson101
New Contributor III

Who has had luck with the grid theme, and possibly even grid theme and survey123 pages  I've played around with the sample provided, but can't seem to make this work for my form - and it would really benefit from gridding some of the questions.

A couple of thoughts/observations/issues:

• It doesn't appear that the likert appearance works with with the grid style.  Though not a deal-breaker, this is inconvenient because likert is a style I use to center my yes/no question/answers.  
  • I can't get the grid style and pages to work together. What happens is when I go to page two, the survey is able to scroll up to page one.  Seems to be a bug.  Doesn't act like the sample provided.
  • I really wish we could do the grid theme for only certain sections of the form.  My form is multiple pages long (in real life, on paper) and the grid theme only suits some of the sections of it.  
  • I think there should be an enhancement that allows you to configure a minimal width of screen... and thus if someone is using the form on the phone, you could be able to scroll the form over.  That way your grid configurations stick no matter what device is being used.  It's almost impossible to know what devices will be used for the form I'm created once we deliver it to the client

I'd love to hear about any other tips or tricks using the grid style, especially if its with pages too.  

And also sorta on this topic... I really need indexed-repeat() functionality in S123.  It's actually one of the things that led me to try out the grid style.  But with the limitations listed above, I'm really just back to needing the indexed-repeat function and being able to pull info out of the repeat in order to display in a custom results table; an HTML table in a hint field.  This way the user can see what they've entered in the repeats.  For this instance in particular, what tree specimens they have already collected info on. 

Thanks everyone!

EDIT - Quick edit/update to this already... apparently you can still take advantage of putting fields side by side without using the grid theme.  Just use the "w[number]" setting in the appearance.  This is very good news for me and my form!  But still want to know more about grid and pages and definitely indexed-repeat!

16 Replies
LindaSlattery
Occasional Contributor

I asked the question at the ESRI conference this year during a Survey 123 presentation and they said the grid theme only works in the field app, which is unfortunate.

0 Kudos
mettegreve
New Contributor III

Oh no!

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

@LindaSlattery @mettegreve Did either of you figure this out? I'm having the same issue. My grid style looks great in the Connect preview, but all content is one column wide in the published survey. Any insight you've gained would be appreciated!

Holly

- Holly
0 Kudos
LindaSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Hi Holly,

Unfortunately there is no way to do it, unless somebody else figured out a work around. It's really disappointing.

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

@LindaSlattery Thanks for the response. I just came to the same conclusion after rereading this blog post. It's only available in the Survey123 Field App and not the web form. Super disappointing. My grid form as it appears on Connect is exactly what I need, and now I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish it. Guess I'll head over to the Ideas page to see if anyone has suggested expanding that functionality to the web form yet...

- Holly
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

@LindaSlattery @mettegreve I added an idea for this to the Survey123 Community. If you agree with it, feel free to upvote. Can't hurt to ask! 

- Holly
mettegreve
New Contributor III

No, we ended up hardcoding images with the gridded style and using them in the web browser - not the best solution.

0 Kudos