S123 Polygon geometry changing after being drawn (windows app)

01-13-2021 09:05 AM
UlteigEngineers
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm using a repeat geoshape question in a form I built in Survey123 Connect (version 3.11.123). I am using the expression "method=vertex Color=red" in the body::esri:style column to make sure that the shape can be collected using vertex points. In our workflow, the user interacts with the form on their computer using the ArcGIS for Survey123 app (verson 3.11.164). When the user in the survey123 app on their desktop computer, the geometry of the polygon changes between what they draw and what is submitted with the form. This does not happen when the form is filled out on an iphone, and I assume other mobile devices though I haven't been able to test all. 

Is this a known issue? Is there a work around?

Things I have tried to troubleshoot:

1. Remove the method=vertex

2.change the basemap from a custom webmap to a standar map

3. uninstall and reinstall the ArcGIS for Survey123 app on the computer. 

Thank you!

@IsmaelChivite @JamesTedrick 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

I'm not aware of any known issues from what you've described. Can you please give me an example of how the polygon changes (eg rotated, scaled etc) and screen shots if possible? Does this happen for all polygon geometry captured with the desktop app, even a simple rectangle for example? Is it occurring for all surveys or just one specific survey (please send XLSForm if it's just one survey).

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
UlteigEngineers
New Contributor II

Thanks for getting back to me @BrettStokes 

In the Survey123 app I draw a shape

UlteigEngineers_0-1614616776672.png

I then hit the check mark. If I now use my finger to move around the map (not the shape I drew), the shape shifts location

UlteigEngineers_1-1614616838493.png

After submitting the form, the polygon shifts again, the red being what was submitted originally, and the blue being the polygon available for update in the s123 app.

UlteigEngineers_2-1614616868354.png

I have only seen this in one survey, but that survey is the only one I use the new-ish polygon functionality so I'm not sure if it's a one-survey issue or a larger problem. I am happy to send you the sheet, but could I send it to an email? I'd prefer not to post it publicly for confidentiality reasons.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi again,

This is interesting, please send your XLSForm to bstokes@ esri.com and I'll try to troubleshoot further. Also, have you had a chance to test this on the recently released 3.12 version?

Thanks,

Brett

IanGallo
Occasional Contributor

@BrettStokes I am seeing this same issue - shapes collected in desktop app shift once submitted. 

S123 desktop on windows 3.14.255

S123 Connect: 3.14.274

@Mondi_GIS @UlteigEngineers did you ever find a solution to this?

0 Kudos
Mondi_GIS
Occasional Contributor

@IanGallo, the problem at the time when I posted it was resolved with an update to survey123 3.12**, however, I have recently had users complaining about the same behaviour happening again. I haven't been able to replicate the error on my side, but of our users are definitely having a problem, as shown below (the red line is where the polygon should have been).

Mondi_GIS_0-1660633027371.pngMondi_GIS_1-1660633047974.png

0 Kudos
Mondi_GIS
Occasional Contributor

I have had similar issues with the geometry shifting between when it is captured and then I accept the geometry and it shifts when we accept it.  

Mondi_GIS_0-1618922682041.png

Mondi_GIS_1-1618922713888.png