Republished choice updates do not appear in feature layer

04-12-2017 12:48 AM
vanessagiles
New Contributor III

I edited the choices to an existing survey and republished it successfully however these changes are not reflected in the feature layer in arcgis online.  What else do I need to do to see this change? (urgent!!)   The changes are available in the app but not online.

23 Replies
vanessagiles
New Contributor III

Hallelujah!  Thankyou.  Entering only the section that needs updating does seem to work.  This is my code:

{
 "fields" : [
    {
      "name" : "bandLT",
      "type" : "esriFieldTypeString",
      "alias" : "Band colour - LEFT TOP",
      "sqlType" : "sqlTypeOther",
      "length" : 4,
      "nullable" : true,
      "editable" : true,
      "visible" : true,
      "domain" :
      {
        "type" : "codedValue",
        "name" : "cvd_bandLT",
        "codedValues" : [
          {
            "name" : "Make Selection",
            "code" : "ms"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Unsure",
            "code" : "Un"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Black N",
            "code" : "N"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Orange O",
            "code" : "O"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Green P",
            "code" : "P"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Mauve U",
            "code" : "U"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Mauve U",
            "code" : "U"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Yellow Y",
            "code" : "Y"
          },
          {
            "name" : "White W",
            "code" : "W"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Blue B",
            "code" : "B"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Red R",
            "code" : "R"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Pink K",
            "code" : "K"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Metal M",
            "code" : "M"
          },
          {
            "name" : "Wild (unbanded)",
            "code" : "Wild"
          }
        ]
      },
      "defaultValue" : null
    }
 ]
}

0 Kudos
vanessagiles
New Contributor III

The changes to the JSON code are saving ok but when I use the s123 app to select Mauve (U) it is still resulting in an Unsure (Un, formerly U) value online.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Ah- has the survey been republished with the new values?  The survey reads the values from the XLSfile, not the feature service.

0 Kudos
vanessagiles
New Contributor III

Yes I re-published the survey and the coded domains are all functioning perfectly.  Unfortunately my feature service became uneditable at some point and I am unable to edit my data.  Could this have been caused by the republishing?  Or by tweaking the JSON code?  I have checked all of the editing settings and can't see any problem. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Vanessa,

Tweaking the JSON code would have been more likely to affect the editing capabilities.  Aside form the web page display of settings, you may want to check the admin interface (where you changed the settings) and see if anything would indicate editing is disallowed.

0 Kudos
vanessagiles
New Contributor III

Thanks James.  There is nothing obvious to me in the JSON code.  There are several avenues I'm considering:

(1) rolling back one choice-list addition that I made yesterday - I don't see how this would affect editing of the feature layer.

(2) error messages that appear from the existing JSON code, prior to any changes I made.

"editingInfo" : {
    "lastEditDate" : 1492075506062
  },

(3) existing edit settings in the code (looks ok to me):

"ownershipBasedAccessControlForFeatures" : {
    "allowOthersToQuery" : true,
    "allowOthersToDelete" : true,
    "allowOthersToUpdate" : true,
    "allowAnonymousToUpdate" : false,
    "allowAnonymousToDelete" : false
  },

0 Kudos
vanessagiles
New Contributor III

Ok. Editing is working again.  I am working on my home laptop today, so perhaps it is related to caching rather than coding.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

James,

Will this be an enhancement within version 2.0? After some reading that I have done I was under the impression that the domains were updated if you did not change the form schema?

Which is confusing after having the dialog within Survey123 Connect referencing that your data will remain even though we are republishing? IT WOULD be awesome if the survey could be updated to include "New or Additional" Domain values, but not allow for the removal of previously posted domains.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Mike,

The behavior has not been revised as of version 2.0.  In our documentation, we refer to choice lists, which can be stored as domains (but are not required to); the revision of choice lists does not result in a schema change.  I've added this request to our development backlog for evaluation & prioritization.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

James,

Thank you for the response. Two more question, but does this same logic apply to using pulldata or external picks; in terms of the FGDB Domains not being updated with the picklists?

Last question, when I do go back and update the choices or the comma-delimited text file from the media folder for the external picks; will the answer of the newly added choices show up within the FGDB feature class or related table? If so, then that is an acceptable behavior for me.

I do greatly appreciate the information.

Mike

0 Kudos