Replicate Survey123 data from AGOL to Enterprise

11-12-2021 07:40 AM
JaySGregory
New Contributor II

Curious if it is possible to periodically replicate Survey123 data from AGOL to Enterprise.  Unsure if distributed collaboration could be used to copy feature classes associated with a survey from AGOL to Enterprise.  Even so, it doesn't seem like you could use Survey123 to print reports from Enterprise using the replicated data.  

What about publishing the same survey to AGOL as Enterprise, and then periodically copy the feature data (and attachments) from AGOL feature classes to the Enterprise, either using Python API or even better - webhooks.  Then managers could use Enterprise to log into Survey123 and publish reports, while users can use AGOL to actually fill out and submit the surveys.  

Does anyone have experience with this?

Specifically, this stems from the fact these surveys are very large due to many attachments, and continuing to store them in AGOL is a large hit on credits.  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hussam_AlJabri
Occasional Contributor III

I suggest you use Enterprise permanently so you can avoid the credits consuming while increasing in the attachments.

publish the same survey to the Enterprise then Append AOGL HFL to the Enterprise HFL with reserving GlobalID and attachments. using ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

Hi, Distributed Collaboration is not perfect for this scenario. I suggest you can create a feature service in ArcGIS Enterprise, add the feature service as an item to ArcGIS Online (with embed credentials), and reference that item in your ArcGIS Online survey form.

I hope this will help.

JaySGregory
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion Jing - so you're saying this is supported and has been done before? 

That is, I can create a feature service in Enterprise, add it as an item to AGOL, and the publish a Survey using Survey123 Connect in AGOL pointing to that item, and as long as ArcGIS Enterprise is exposed to the public internet, AGOL will essentially act as a reverse proxy for survey data, and just forward that data to Enterprise?  This essentially allows us to circumvent storing survey data in AGOL, but allows us to leverage AGOL users / logins to fill out the surveys?  

One other question: I am only familiar with designing a survey, publishing it, and having the feature services created.  I am not familiar with the reverse: designing and publishing a feature service first, and then creating a survey that sits on top of it.  Is there more information on how to do this?

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One other question: I am only familiar with designing a survey, publishing it, and having the feature services created.  I am not familiar with the reverse: designing and publishing a feature service first, and then creating a survey that sits on top of it.  Is there more information on how to do this?

For this just publish the form.  Download the service as a GDB.  Publish that GDB to the server you want it.  Then use the submission url setting to point the form to this new service.

On this one This essentially allows us to circumvent storing survey data in AGOL, but allows us to leverage AGOL users / logins to fill out the surveys?  

The AGOL username would still need access to add data on the internal server.  It is just a redirect it is not AGOL adding the data to the service.

Hope that helps

JaySGregory
New Contributor II

Thanks Doug - but would adding the Enterprise feature service to AGOL with embed credentials work in this case - in that way the AGOL user itself would not need access to the Enterprise FS, since the item being used by the AGOL user for survey submission has Enterprise credentials embedded?

Thx

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure really.  I have seen you can do credentials now but not sure the use case.  That would mean editor tracking is all the same user?

In my experience most corp servers are behind a firewall so this does not work anyways.  

Please report back what you find out.  Really curious.

0 Kudos
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

I am not sure whether this workflow is officially supported but this should work in theory.

And you are right that ArcGIS Online is only acting as a reverse proxy in this case, it controls which ArcGIS Online user can access and edit the shared feature service. From ArcGIS Enterprise perspective, the shared feature service is being edited by the account you use for embed credentials.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos