Repeat image question not pulling first photo in a report template

Jump to solution
05-30-2023 12:44 PM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I have been experiencing some weird behavior when generating reports from a custom template in Survey123. My survey has a repeat question for inspection photos with photo captions. In the report template, I pull those photos into a table. Here is the report syntax:

Katherine_Clark_0-1685475698745.png

Sometimes, the report generates fine and all photos are pulled into the report. However, sometimes I find that a particular photo is missing from the template. I new table row is created and the caption is printed for the photo, but the table cell for the photos is just blank. This seems to most frequently happen with the first photo/record of the repeat. I end up having to copy/paste that one photo into the report by accessing the record through the Survey123 web interface.

I wish it was at least consistent, because then it would be easier to troubleshoot! But has anyone else experienced this behavior before? Any ideas what might be causing it to happen?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

UPDATE: @IsmaelChivite @ZhifangWang 
And a huge thank you to @Nuramalina_Diyana_AtiqahSharon at Esri for working with me on my support ticket and helping me troubleshoot!

The issue was rooted in the version of Word that I was using to open the documents. My company has our machine's configured to do automatic software updates, so I didn't even realize when my version of word was updated. But apparently updating to version 2308 caused the issue where the first image of the repeat wouldn't render in the report.

I downgraded my version of word to version 2208, opened the same report, and the photos displayed correctly!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Katie_Clark ,

This is not a known issue in our radar. Can you please provide more information about the issue for us to better understand it? For example,

1. Does this issue occur to only .pdf format report or only .docx format report or both?
  2. If .docx report can reproduce the issue, does changing the table size or clicking the blank image area can display the image?
  3. How frequently does this issue occur to your report workflow?

In addition, assuming your XLSForm is like below,

xlsform1.png

Can you please try something below, put the start and end tags out of the table, that makes each photo a separate 2-row table rather than 2 rows inside a single table to see if this helps avoid the issue?

template1.png

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello @ZhifangWang , I finally had time to test this edit to the report template, and unfortunately it did not solve the problem. The first photo of the repeat question in the survey is still omitted from the report word document. However, as you can see from the screenshot below, the photo description is still pulling in as expected. When I click inside the table cell, it is empty. No placeholder white textbox/image or anything like that. 

Katherine_Clark_0-1686752904917.png

I have confirmed that the photo DOES pull in when generating a PDF directly, rather than a word document. (see screenshot below, it worked in both my original and modified templates). However, this is not a possible solution for us as these reports need to be reviewed and possibly edited, along with the fact that generating directly as PDF messes with the table formatting of the report.

Katherine_Clark_1-1686753206925.png

Here is a snapshot from my XLS form, the photo section is set up almost identical as you have it in your screenshot. The only difference being that my image question is listed before the description question. I also have some notes fields that are used to help with UI and enforce image orientation in the survey (landscape).

Katherine_Clark_2-1686753673485.png

Another piece of information; when I manually copy/paste the photo into the report and then save, I get this message in Word.

Katherine_Clark_3-1686754065539.png

Clicking "Details" produces this dialogue box. Clicking "Go To" then jumps to/highlights the newly pasted image.

Katherine_Clark_4-1686754456996.png

With this information, do you have any further thoughts for troubleshooting? What could be causing the issue in Word doc but not PDF?

Thanks!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

UPDATE: @IsmaelChivite @ZhifangWang 
And a huge thank you to @Nuramalina_Diyana_AtiqahSharon at Esri for working with me on my support ticket and helping me troubleshoot!

The issue was rooted in the version of Word that I was using to open the documents. My company has our machine's configured to do automatic software updates, so I didn't even realize when my version of word was updated. But apparently updating to version 2308 caused the issue where the first image of the repeat wouldn't render in the report.

I downgraded my version of word to version 2208, opened the same report, and the photos displayed correctly!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek