Repeat appearance not working

Jump to solution
09-19-2021 07:28 PM
EmilyRayner
New Contributor III

Hi, I created my App a year ago and it was working great. Just opened it for our next season of data collection and one section is not displaying properly. It is a 'repeat' section and will not display across the entire screen, only in the first column, shown below. Even though I have 'w8' in the appearance column, area highlighted in yellow does not display properly. 

Disclaimer: I'm a biologist so don't know the technical terms but App worked great for our first season of data collection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EmilyRayner_0-1632104502753.png

EmilyRayner_1-1632104732355.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @EmilyRayner,

I have reviewed your XLSForm and replied via email with suggested changes.

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @IFI,

The key part from the blog post is that nested groups or repeats now always only take up 1 column:

As for the number of columns used to render the group or repeat within the parent group, it will be one. That is, a group or repeat always takes one single column from the containing group.

Therefore with your survey (from the screenshots) you need to set the parent page to w1 (the group that has field-list on it) and then put another nested group directly inside it with w2 (underneath the page group). This will create a group that takes up the entire w1 row, but then has two columns in it for your lat and long questions next to each other that are w1 each. Close that group before the repeat. The repeat group will then take up the entire row as they always now fill 1 column, which the parent is set to. But if you want more than one column in the repeat, set the w appearance accordingly on the repeat.

Hope this helps. We are also working on a future enhancement to be able to set two values on a nested group or repeat, one value that tells it how many columns to consume from the parent, and one value that set how many columns to create in the group/repeat. This will make it much more flexible and easier to configure in the XLSForm and require less nested group to achieve the same thing. Keep an eye out on the Early Adopter Community for an update on this enhancement.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @EmilyRayner,

The problem is related to setting the group that the repeat is within to w8. In 3.13 we fixed a few bugs around grid theme and repeats not honouring the width set by the parent group. In 3.12 or earlier, repeats always took up the entire row (filled the width) and ignored the value applied to them or coming from the parent group (in your case w8).

Now, in 3.13, repeats will honour the width and take up the allocated width as per how other questions behave. If you need the repeat to take up a different width from the default, you can use a group around it to set the correct width.

Without seeing the rest of the form, from the screenshot, and the different groups and repeats used, it is hard to say exactly what you need to change to fix it. If you could share your XLSForm (xlsx file and any files from media folder) and we can take a look and help get your form working as expected again.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
GregDunnigan
New Contributor III

I am experiencing this as well.   I have a repeat on the second page of a form, and have the same affect.

Can you expand a little on the best way to fix, and/or send you my form?  I'm not totally comfortable just publishing the whole thing here.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @GregDunnigan,

If you can send me your XLSForm (xlsx file and any files from media folder) I can take a look. I will send you a private message with my email details.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
EmilyRayner
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I would love your help when you have time, happy to send you the XLSForm as I am a Survey123 novice. Let me know the best way to share the file.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @EmilyRayner,

I have reviewed your XLSForm and replied via email with suggested changes.

Phil.

0 Kudos
KatherineBarrs
New Contributor II

I'm having a similar issue with several Survey123 forms where the question width became very small after the 3.13 update. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KatherineBarrs,

As described above, this is because the parent group the reepat is inside is set to multiple columns, and now the repeat only takes up one column. The form will need to be modified to set the repeat correctly.

Can you share your XLSForm (xlsx file and any files in media folder)?

You can also refer to the recently updated blog post and the “Working with nested groups (and repeats) in grids” section: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-groups-grids-and/b...

Regards,

Phil.

KatherineBarrs
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

I'm happy to share my form. Thank you for the quick reply. 

Best,

Katherine Barrs

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KatherineBarrs,

I have just sent you a direct message with my details.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos