Rename folders and question types in new version of Survey123?

Jump to solution
07-16-2020 11:49 AM
AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

I have a question related to the new question types, and also using custom JavaScript functions in Survey123 (Survey123 Connect and Excel), in the new version of Survey123 coming out in July 2020.  I attended the Survey123 sessions at the 2020 UC with Ismael Chivite and James Tedrick and attempted to ask questions, but my questions - in every session - were labeled as "waiting for review" and were apparently never viewed by anyone!  I also made appointments with Survey123 team members in the Showcase but no one ever met with me.  So here I am!

1. I learned that "geopoint" questions will now be called "map" questions.  In my existing surveys that have geopoint questions, will I have to go back into the Excel and change them to "map" questions in order for the survey to still work with the new version of Survey123?
  2. I learned that custom JS functions will now be required to go in a folder called "scripts."  This folder used to have to be called "extensions."  I have two existing surveys that use JS functions in "extensions."  Will I have to rename the folder to "scripts" in order for my custom JS to continue to work properly in my surveys with the new version of Survey123?

Thank you! 

Allen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry Allen Dailey‌. The Q&A sessions at the Esri UC 2020 were quite overwhelming at times. Here you go:

1. In Survey123 designer we have replaced the geopoint question with the map question. The map question lets you define drawing tools for points, lines or polygons.  Despite this change, existing surveys will continue to work fine. In Survey123 Connect, the geopoint question remains the same, as per the XLSForm spec, but we also now support geoshape and geotrace question typers for polygons and lines respectively. More details at: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/09/26/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-lines-and-... 
  2. Yes, simply rename your extensions folder to scripts, publish and go!  The Survey123 field app will continue to work against the extensions folder, but the web app will only handle the scripts folder.  

Something to keep in mind is that old versions of the Survey123 app (3.9 and older) will be looking for the extensions folder. Make sure your users get the app updated to 3.10 or otherwise your JS Functions in the scripts folder will be ignored.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry Allen Dailey‌. The Q&A sessions at the Esri UC 2020 were quite overwhelming at times. Here you go:

1. In Survey123 designer we have replaced the geopoint question with the map question. The map question lets you define drawing tools for points, lines or polygons.  Despite this change, existing surveys will continue to work fine. In Survey123 Connect, the geopoint question remains the same, as per the XLSForm spec, but we also now support geoshape and geotrace question typers for polygons and lines respectively. More details at: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/09/26/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-lines-and-... 
  2. Yes, simply rename your extensions folder to scripts, publish and go!  The Survey123 field app will continue to work against the extensions folder, but the web app will only handle the scripts folder.  

Something to keep in mind is that old versions of the Survey123 app (3.9 and older) will be looking for the extensions folder. Make sure your users get the app updated to 3.10 or otherwise your JS Functions in the scripts folder will be ignored.

AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you so much for the info, Ismael!

Allen

0 Kudos