remove selection from select_multiple in calculation

03-14-2018 08:40 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a select multiple question that has an option called "Not Listed" that if selected exposes a text question to enter the not listed value. I would like to combine the responses from the select multiple field (minus "Not Listed") and the text field in to a new field. I have the calculation set to combine the two fields, however I would like to clean things up a bit and remove the "Not Listed" response from the string, is there a way to select everything but from a text string?

I have tried the not() statement but just get the response "true" in my calculation.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brent,

Right now this is somewhat difficult to do, as a select_multiple does not guarantee order.  That being said, we are trialing a feature in the Early Adopter (beta) community that might meet your needs.

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks James!

I couldn't figure out the exact feature in the early adopter program to handle this, what feature should I be looking for?

In this current case there aren't a whole lot of values in the select multiple question, so I could just link a bunch of if(selected$(select_multipleField), 'valueName', 'valueLabel ', '') + ... statements together. I am hoping down the road to find a more eloquent approach esp for longer select multiple lists.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brent,

I was referring to the custom JavaScript functions - one of the applications for this is custom text processing.  You could easily to split the choices, remove a value and reassemble them.

0 Kudos
CarolineRose
New Contributor III

My strategy for removing underscores from a select_multiple response may also offer you some ideas for cleaning up your list:

https://community.esri.com/thread/197470-can-you-calculate-a-hidden-field-removing-the-underscore-fr... 

Essentially, you create a hidden question for each option that populates with your desired text string, then create a text question that concatenates all of the corrected text strings using "join". It can be that simple if you don't care about a trailing comma-space (or whatever your separator is). You can get into more logic if you care to eliminate trailing separators.

I can elaborate further if you need.

0 Kudos