"Something broke the parser" - error publishing!

Jump to solution
07-30-2021 01:31 PM
JCOSNatRes1
New Contributor

Hello!

I am experiencing an "Error converting XLSForm" issue. Error contains the language:  ODK Validate Error "Something broke the parser" when trying to publish my survey. 

I've looked over previous comments with similar errors and am pretty sure that I:

1) am not relying on any "relevant" statements in the survey, so shouldn't be getting hung up there,

2) I believe none of my field names are too long or improperly formatted

Any help would be appreciated!  Still new at this.  Spreadsheet attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @JCOSNatRes1 

Thanks for sharing here! It seems like there is a comma missed in your concat() calculation.

Ruth_JiatengXu_0-1627917706100.png

Thanks,

Ruth

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @JCOSNatRes1 

Thanks for sharing here! It seems like there is a comma missed in your concat() calculation.

Ruth_JiatengXu_0-1627917706100.png

Thanks,

Ruth

BotanyJCOSNatRes3
New Contributor

Incredible.  Thank you so much, Ruth!  That was absolutely the problem.  I greatly appreciate your help!!

- Jesse

Arnaud_Brival
New Contributor III

Hi @Ruth_JiatengXu 

Appologies but I'm suddenly experiencing a similar issues. The XLS form worked like a brease before but I must have inserted a mistake somewhere but I'm absolutely unable to find it.  I was also unable to decifer (nor copy and paste) the error message given by Survey123.  
If you have a tool to test or find out more about the error, Would you accept to have a look at this rather complicated Xlsform? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @Arnaud_Brival 

Thanks for sharing here, and I am sorry for the late response.

It seems like there is an extra "`" in the choice_filter column for your Operator_lzin question, see the screenshot below:

Ruth_JiatengXu_0-1630918774531.png

I have attached the XLSForm with the extra "`" removed, and this should work with no issue.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Arnaud_Brival
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot @Ruth_JiatengXu ,  It really took me a while to find this cryptic typo! Thanks!

0 Kudos
rachelpapers
New Contributor II

Hi Ruth

I came to this community page because I also broke the parser!

Your help with other enquiries made me realise I must have made a syntax error.  Because I'm a complete novice this is hardly surprising, but would you be willing to share your method for working errors?  What do you check first and next etc.   I have just started using the Survey123 connect form and don't know anything about programming; I'm used to excel telling me when I've omitted a critical character eg a parenthesis so will probably make a lot of errors there, but for example if I could break the parser with just an overlong field name then that would be the first thing to check?  I haven't looked to see whether there's a syntax checking scratchpad website (as I've found for html, where they show you what the formatting will look like for the input html coding, and vice versa - I've found that a handy way to learn what works).

I have been to the survey 123 troubleshooter which was useful in a way but didn't help me step through my form to diagnose my problem, whereas your solutions helped me think of the basic errors I could have made.

So for me in the end it turned out that it wasn't my long RELEVANT formula that was breaking the system, it was simply because I'd put one RELEVANT formula in same row as the field it referred to, instead of the row for the field that depended on its value.

Not an urgent query, as I've now solved my problem, but all tips gratefully received. 

Thank you

rachel

0 Kudos