"Send Error" database error

01-02-2019 04:25 PM
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Did not see this particular issue in the geonet blogosphere. I am working in Portal. I can create, publish, download to Android mobile device and populate a form, but when I send it I get "Send Error This survey was not able to be sent due to the following error: Database error has occurred." Thinking it might be an issue with our server space, I tried a different form and had no issues. I'm stumped and would appreciate some insight. The spreadsheet is attached. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

It sounds like the link between the survey and the associated feature service is broken or has been changed. Are you the owner of the survey? Did you recently re-publish the survey or make changes to the sharing permissions? If so can you re-download the survey and try and send the surveys in Outbox again.

If that fails here are some useful links to recovering surveys from the device: Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

It's a new form derived from an earlier one. I did indeed redownload it, etc, etc. Same issue when PC version of form and when I had someone else download it on a different tablet. I also made a copy of it with no mods and published that. Can you think of anything else I should try?

Bob

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What version of Portal are you using and how is it configured, and what type of authentication? Is the Portal public facing, are you able to send surveys when on your internal network and only when outside of network it doesn't work, or are you using a VPN?

Did you create a new feature service from Connect or are you using the submission url to connect the survey to an existing feature service?

Phil.

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

I’m not sure regarding Portal. It is arcgis.dnr.state.mn.us/portal. We are an ArcGIS 10.6 shop. I am not connecting to an existing feature service for this particular survey; I’m creating a new one. For all of our surveys we are deploying them to mobile devices that are registered and recognized by our network. When I mentioned previously that I was able to successfully send surveys from a different form with its own service, it was on an Android tablet with a wireless connection and no VPN. It’s how we’ve always done it. I get the same error message for the questionable form when I try to send surveys from PC Survey123.

I just tried again from Survey123 on my PC laptop and connected to our VPN. Same fail. What about saving the spreadsheet out, completely deleting the form, local and Portal folders and starting from scratch?

Bob

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Can you send me a copy of the xlsx form and a screenshot of the survey folder in Portal? And yes, given that other surveys are working ok and you can access your portal from wireless, this survey should work the same, so saving the spreadsheet out, completely deleting the form, local and Portal folders and starting from scratch, (as you put it) should do the trick? Note that you should backup or export any data already collected from the feature service so it is not deleted when removing the current survey folder.

Phil.

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

I just tried it again by creating a new survey from the spreadsheet I sent you. Same issue. There must be something in the form? Look at the concatenation work that builds the “locres” attribute. That’s the only thing I really changed. Not sure what would be wrong there though, because it is correctly doing the subsequent pulldata operation for coordinates and displaying the locations on the map.

Bob

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Can you send me the csv file which is being used for the pulldata() calculations to get the values from so i can load it into my media folder?

Phil.

0 Kudos
SarahLinn1
New Contributor III

I'm not sure this is the issue but throwing it out there just in case.

Removing the data from its default folder in AGO (ArcGIS Online) can cause issues when republishing.

Survey123 will create a default folder in AGO for each survey created, i.e., Survey-{survey name}

I was moving all associated data into a folder I created in AGO, which included the form, this can't be moved from it's original location.

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

I think I figured it out. See the screen shot below. The string(“LSP”) was string(“SH”) in the form I derived this problem form from. I’m guessing that the string length of 3 and esri field length definition of 2 is what was screwing it up? If true, perhaps a error flag needs to be coded in to identify it. Changing it length def to 3 did not cure it, but when I cleared the field it worked. I had no indication anything was wrong until if failed on the data send. I did notice when I was cleaning up that there were several versions of the feature service with the same name listed in Portal. I was only able to read the one that was working correctly. All the others threw a generic Error message when I tried to do so. Let me know if I’m more than just a blind squirrel that just accidentally found a nut.

Bob

0 Kudos