"Or Other" Response on Feature Report

Jump to solution
11-16-2021 07:15 AM
MollyBurton
New Contributor III

Is it possible to display 'or other' selections made on feature reports? If not, is there an alternative way to show this information on a feature report?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"just call either question 1 or question 2 on the Feature Report"

No you create a 3rd field in the form that takes field 1 if not other and field 2 if other.  That way field 3 always has the data in it and no need to worry again (late in data analysis people will not know to search 2 fields so it is a constant pain).  In the form set the bind esri column to null for both field 1 and 2 then they will never show in the feature service so no one can even tell you did the trick.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For or other questions the 3 field trick is usually what people want.  

Field 1 is the drop down.  Field 2 is the other value.  Field 3 takes 1 if it is not other and 2 if it is other.  That way all the values are in one field.  Set 1 and 1 to bind null and you never even see them.

You may want that instead.  Having data in 2 fields is always a pain.  Hope that helps

0 Kudos
MollyBurton
New Contributor III

Do you mean set it up as 2 questions basically in the survey? Ex: Here is my question, options in the drop down are 1, 2, 3, other. If Other is selected, another question comes up for 'Other Response' and then I just call either question 1 or question 2 on the Feature Report with relevant fields? I'm hoping to avoid adding questions to my survey

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"just call either question 1 or question 2 on the Feature Report"

No you create a 3rd field in the form that takes field 1 if not other and field 2 if other.  That way field 3 always has the data in it and no need to worry again (late in data analysis people will not know to search 2 fields so it is a constant pain).  In the form set the bind esri column to null for both field 1 and 2 then they will never show in the feature service so no one can even tell you did the trick.

Hope that helps

MollyBurton
New Contributor III

So I actually found an alternative for what I was looking for. I did not realize that under the Schema tab in Survey123 Connect, the 'other' fields have a field name (ex: project_manager_other). I was able to just add ${project_manager} ${project_manager_other} to my feature report to get both responses to show without a third field in my form. 

That being said, when the Other option is selected, the output on the feature report now looks like:

"Other Joe Schmoe" instead of just "Joe Schmoe". Ideally I'd just like the "Joe Schmoe", so trying to figure out if I can do that now.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yea just the pain there is if later you search for something or do a filter you have to search both fields every time.

0 Kudos