"Area" As a Reserved Field

Jump to solution
06-01-2021 08:44 AM
CollinWideman
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've created a form for Valve Inspections and I have a select_one field for Areas. 

I've had no problem publishing the form until I try to republish. I can publish successfully, and then republish with no edits made and it tries to add another field named "area" and then says it's reserved.

Is there a work around for this? "area" is not on the reserved list in the advanced template so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Collin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is not a 123 reserved word but it is a Arc reserved word.

The following list contains all the field names that are fully qualified within an ArcSDE geodatabase:

FID, AREA, LEN, POINTS, NUMOFPTS, ENTITY, EMINX, EMINY, EMAXX, EMAXY, EMINZ, EMAXZ, MIN_MEASURE, MAX_MEASURE

For cases such as this, you might consider using a different field name or a field alias.

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/geodatabases/design-defining-fields-in-tables.... 

This got me once where it was a SQL reserved word so I did not find it until a tried to add to SDE.

No way around it I think have to name it something else.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is not a 123 reserved word but it is a Arc reserved word.

The following list contains all the field names that are fully qualified within an ArcSDE geodatabase:

FID, AREA, LEN, POINTS, NUMOFPTS, ENTITY, EMINX, EMINY, EMAXX, EMAXY, EMINZ, EMAXZ, MIN_MEASURE, MAX_MEASURE

For cases such as this, you might consider using a different field name or a field alias.

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/geodatabases/design-defining-fields-in-tables.... 

This got me once where it was a SQL reserved word so I did not find it until a tried to add to SDE.

No way around it I think have to name it something else.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You should probably get in the habit of avoiding words like shape, length, area etc as chances are you'll end up running into the same problem again and again.

When doing quick and dirty work, I will use the prefix of 'my' to name fields that may be in conflict so myArea, myLength, etc...  It sounds like this more than a quick and dirty application so you'll want to re-examine your database schema, and consider renaming those fields that may be in conflict.  Instead of area perhaps you can include something like InspectionArea, etc....

That should just about do it....
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @CollinWideman thanks for raising this - and thanks @DougBrowning for your reply.

The 14 reserved words for Enterprise geodatabases that Doug listed, above, should be included in the Standard and Advanced templates and we will make this change for the next release.

Thanks again & best, Jim