Question about theme-grid, "w" appearance, and table-list

10-14-2019 06:09 AM
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

Some brief searches didn't yield anything, but if I've missed a guidance doc somewhere please point me in the right direction. I'm using S123 Connect v 3.6.137.

I have a long survey, and I want to place some grouped questions into columns using appearance parameters (w1, w2, etc.). Is this supported without using the theme-grid setting for the entire survey? It seems to work, but individual question overrides (i.e. setting a multiline text question to full width) are not working as expected (see screen shots).

Alternatively, I can place the whole survey into theme-grid, however there are a few drawbacks that make that less than ideal for me. Mainly, the grid borders are distracting (to my eyes). Is there a way to control border color, weight, and appearance?

Also, I have a long Yes/No question list that I currently display in a table-list, and this does not appear to be supported with theme-grid. Am I missing a setting somewhere to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

Using theme-grid is the correct method to achieve placing multiple questions on the same row.  Once it is applied in the settings sheet, it will display all contained questions in a grid. 

In your screenshot, it looks like you set the date question to occupy the full-width, however, it is not properly reflected.

I am not able to replicate this behavior in my testing.  Can you please upload your XLSForm to this thread so that I can take a look?

As far as the ability to apply background color and other theme settings to your survey, take a look at the following...

Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Keep in mind that there is a limitation when looking to apply backgroundColor to repeats in theme-grid.

As for your last question, unfortunately it is not possible at the moment to use table-list when theme-grid has been applied.  This is listed as a known limitation here...Appearance—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Best Regards,

Brandon

0 Kudos
RobBlash

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the additional info. See attached example, the w appearance was not working as expected because I did not have the "theme-grid" parameter in settings. Unfortunately, the "body::esri:style" setting does not support grid borders, so that coupled with the incompatibility with table-list makes this a less viable option for what I'm trying to do.

Using w appearance without theme-grid works if I don't need to set a custom length for a specific question. Is this by design or by chance? It gets me 95% of where I need to be, but I don't want to build this in to my survey if it will cause me heartache down the road (a-la the "supportsApplyEditsWithGlobalId" issue many of us faced a few months back).

I suppose at the end of the day, it would be beneficial to be able to apply theme-grid at the group level, and not at the survey level.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Ahh, yes.  The width (w) parameter is intended to be used with theme-grid exclusively.

In regards to the table-list appearance and borderColor parameter not working with theme-grid,  I encourage you to raise these as Enhancements with Esri Technical Support and/or post the request for these features on the ArcGIS Ideas site. By doing this, it allows us to keep track of others who have similar requests and ultimately helps us prioritize potential Enhancements to address during time of assessment.  

Thank you for letting us know your experience with theme-grid, and we will make internal notes of your request in the meantime.

Best Regards,

Brandon

0 Kudos
AdaLi1
by
New Contributor III

Hi Brandon,

I'm using a pages style but with w for some group appearances. I have a group using w2 that contains two groups so they show up as two columns. However, the length for the two groups are different. The survey auto aligns each column to the center. Is there a way to align both groups (columns) to the top?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ada,

Have you explored the Sample survey named 'Grid Style Groups' available with Survey123 Connect? There are a few examples that include Groups and Pages.  Let me know if this provides helpful info for you, or provide your XLSForm by uploading it to this thread.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
RobBlash

Thanks Brandon. I created 2 separate ideas, for anyone who may come across this thread in the future:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/17444-survey123-theme-grid-apply-to-groups-not-entire-survey

https://community.esri.com/ideas/17445-survey123-theme-grid-set-bordercolor-property