Question about spaces in Survey123 Connect "name" fields of choices

04-18-2018 12:11 AM
Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Based on this document about integrating Survey123 with other apps, there is currently a bug in Survey123 where the labels and name fields of choices in choice lists need to be identical in order to pass filled values into another app, such as Collector e.g. arcgis-survey123://?itemID=36ff9e8c13e042a58cfce4ad87f55d19&field:surname={name}.

Therefore, I tried to design a form where the name and label are identical with spaces between words for readability and a user-friendly experience for end users. However, I received a warning where the form is converted with warning that choice names should not contain spaces. Since this is a "should not" warning and not a "must not" error. I would like to know will there be performance issues if I publish a Survey123 form whose choices have spaces?

Alternatively, I could make the choices and labels both do not have spaces e.g TypeA-18 as opposed to Type A-18 to avoid this warning. However, it is not very user friendly to do so, especially in cases when there will be lots of choices to choose from.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have a coworker helping me and he was putting spaces in the Name field... and it was letting him.  No warning or anything.  Has this changed now?  

Cannot seem to find anything about it.

thanks

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug,

When the Excel file opened, were there any warnings?  The in-form warnings are all based on Excel data validation; we've seen that if a form has gone through a lot of copy/paste operations, that can break (it can also be manually turned off as well).

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why is it just warning now?  Looking at the Feature Service it seems to take the spaces just fine now.  Is this a new thing?  We can use spaces now?

thanks

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Doug, 

By warnings, I meant warning dialogs Excel presented (normally about links being missing/broken) - that normally indicates the validation has been broken on the form.

As per FAQ: What characters should not be used in ArcGIS for field names and table names? field names cannot contain spaces.  What you tend to see in things like table displays or other UX are aliases (the label column in Survey123), which can be arbitrary text.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning2
Occasional Contributor III

Its not just the label - we got it to work with spaces in Name.  That is why I asked.  We checked and it is not the domain but the actual name is stored with spaces.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Doug,

That sounds like a validation error in ArcGIS Online, then - there are a couple of other instances where disallowed characters (most recently I've seen with hyphens) are allowed in the creation of the field but end up creating a situation where the data cannot be submitted.

0 Kudos