pulldata("@geopoint", ${location}, "direction") not working

06-07-2019 04:49 AM
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

So I've authored a survey to retrieve the direction of movement from the geopoint:

pulldata("@geopoint", ${location}, "direction")

This does not seem to be working and doesnt actually return any values, even though when I open the Location Status window the Direction field is updated...

I've also tried the Calculate location from Geopoint sample in Survey123 Connect with the same results...

I dont think it is a device issue since the direction does update in the Location Status window of Survey123...

Anybody has any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Deon,

Can you please confirm what version of the field app you are using? Also the device and operating system? Are you using an external GNSS receiver or just the internal receiver of your device? Your syntax is correct for the pulldata () function (assuming your geopoint question is named 'location'), so I'm just trying to get more information to reproduce the behaviour. Please let me know and I'll try to troubleshoot further.

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi Brett

I am using the Cedar Tree CP3 device. Android 7.1.2

Survey123 for Android V3.3.64

Using the internal GNSS provider of the device.

I used the sample survey called Calculate location from Geopoint  so I am sure the syntax is correct. I also tried with my own example with the same results...

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Deon,

Thanks for providing all of the details for your setup. I am wondering if this is just a timing issue... At first I was able to seemingly reproduce your issue on my device (Samsung S10) while stationary. As the position bounces around I am getting momentary speed and direction readings from my internal GNSS receiver. If I don't quite coincide this when the pulldata function is triggered (either on form load or when you manually tap the GPS icon in the map widget), then I don't get the direction information into my survey.

I have to ask- are you triggering the pulldata function whilst actually in motion? I found that even at walking pace, my device is constantly providing a speed / direction which is consistently being pulled correctly into my survey. Are you noticing consistent direction readings in the Location Status page, or are they momentary?

Another explanation, although very unlikely, would be due to the way we handle network positions in Android devices. GPS positions are updated every second and network positions every 20 seconds. Network positions are stationary and don't have a speed or direction so if you pulled the data from @geopoint at that moment you'll never get a speed or direction value. We have a fix for this scenario in place that is currently being tested and will be in the next release of Survey123, but as I mentioned it's very doubtful to be causing your issue.

Brett

0 Kudos