Publishing failed: Field Length is too short 20

Jump to solution
03-20-2018 08:30 AM
JordanMiller4
Occasional Contributor III

I created a new survey using a Feature Service and I am getting the following error when I try to publish the survey. I assume the error is asking me to add additional characters to the field name but if I do that it won't capture the data back to the correct field.

Error:

The Custom feature service submission url is not compatible with the survey (Field ODERCOMPLAINTNUMBER in NEO Gas Leak length is too short 20.)

Img attached:

Tags (1)
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James-

We got the error that the field name was too short so we followed your steps above using ArcGIS Pro. After the completing the steps we re-published the survey. ArcGIS online now has 2 hosted feature layers with the same name. The original survey data has 1142 records and length of the field is correct(we went from 7 to 10 text). The new (duplicate) survey data layer is empty with the field defined as 255 characters. We added a new record and this record shows up in the duplicate survey data instead of in the survey data that contains the other 1142 records.

Please help! 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Vivi,

Did you see any messages when publishing the survey?  Has this survey already been shared for analysis (has a _stakeholder view)?

0 Kudos
MartieClemons
New Contributor II

Hi, James - I'm replying with regard to Vivi's questions.  The survey does have a stakeholder view but I don't think it was shared for analysis so I'm not sure why it was created at the start.  Since we can't figure out what happened, after collecting is done for the day, I'm going to export both surveys into file gdb's and combine using these instructions from Jennifer this morning: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000001056, then publish the resulting comprehensive feature class with related comprehensive attachment table to AGO as a new feature service, then create a new survey in Connect and choose the new feature service and it should create a new survey which we'll then publish from Connect.

0 Kudos