Promoting from Dev To Production

01-31-2018 04:06 PM
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

I have used the blog notes on building a survey with an existing feature service, to create a survey looking at, and, writing directly back to our Enterprise Dev Database. Its worked extremely well and the field staff are really happy with the results

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/09/25/working-with-existing-feature-services-i... 

Now that testing is underway, just wondering whats the best way to copy this dev survey and re-point it to the production service.

Cheers, Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Could you please clarify a few details around your Dev and Prod environments? Are they seperate servers with different Portal URLs and different databases, or are they the same? Is the Dev server/database a clone of the Prod environment?

Is the itemID of the feature service in Prod the same as the itemID in Dev? If they are different and on the same Portal/Server, you can simply change the itemID in the submission_url in the xlsx file via Connect to point to the Prod itemID of the feature service. If the Portal/Server URL is also different, you will need to update/add the correct Portal in the Connect settings and update the entire submission_url.

Regards,

Phil.

ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Phil

The Dev and Production Databases are separate database, but are basically a clone of each other (the schema of the feature layer is replicated for dev to production, just the data is differnent)

The Dev and Production feature services are published to the one Portal instance as we don't have separate portal instances at this stage.  So there is two urls.

I assume itemIDs will different as I will publish publishing a new service containing the Production layer.  So I think from what you are saying it is relatively straight forward and simple then?

1. Create a new survey in Connect selecting the Dev survey as the template.

2. Then replace the item id in the Submission_url with the ItemID from production feature layer.

I think I was over thinking it!

Cheers

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Yes, your steps are correct and that should work the way you are wanting. Create the new survey based on the existing, and ensure the submission URL is pointing to the new feature layer URL from Prod.

Phil.

0 Kudos