Prevent survey from being submitted if certain response chosen

Jump to solution
09-04-2020 10:51 AM
EricAnderson_DHS
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Creating a survey in Survey123 Connect and I want to prevent the survey from being submitted if the user selects a certain response. For example, the question is "Type of feedback" and the options are "Bug", "Enhancement", "General". If they select "Bug", we have a Note that pops up that tells them to use another survey with a hyperlink. How can we prevent the survey from being submitted (disable Send button) if this response is chosen as well?

Thank you,

Eric

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Eric A‌, 

There are a few options that this can be done, but the first that comes to mind is to make the existing note question you have required. I am guessing it is already relevant based on the selection, but if you have anything in the default column that will need to be moved to the Label.  Another option would be to add a new note question that is relevant and required and have the label say something along the lines of "This survey cannot be submitted" 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Eric A‌, 

There are a few options that this can be done, but the first that comes to mind is to make the existing note question you have required. I am guessing it is already relevant based on the selection, but if you have anything in the default column that will need to be moved to the Label.  Another option would be to add a new note question that is relevant and required and have the label say something along the lines of "This survey cannot be submitted" 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
EricAnderson_DHS
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Zach! This seemed to work perfectly. I marked the note that comes up (which was set up as relevant) to be a required question, and now the survey cannot be submitted if that note is active (i.e. they choose the response we want them to use a different survey for). 

Appreciate it!

-Eric

0 Kudos
LynseyBlackburn
Esri Contributor

Hey Eric, 

Building on what Zach suggested, it may be possible to create a relevant question that is also required based on the type of feedback. If we were to make this required field hidden, then it wouldn't show up in the survey but it may prevent submission. Just an idea to try!

hidden question

Type of Feedback = BUG

required= yes

I would be interested to know if that worked for you.

-Lynsey

EricAnderson_DHS
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Lynsey! While I assume this would as well, based on what I tested from Zach's suggestion, I think going the approach he outlined (setting the Note that comes up as required) is a better approach, at least for me, since that wouldn't require an additional field in the schema. Thank you though! 

0 Kudos
CatP
by
New Contributor III

In Survey123 Connect I wish to do something almost identical to the original poster but can't work out the requirements. 

If the respondent answers 'No' to the Age question I wish for the submit button to disappear and a message to appear saying "You must be 18 years or over to take this survey".

Any assistance is gratefully received.

0 Kudos