Populating Select-One from Separate Feature Service or Related Table

06-08-2018 12:41 PM
Christopher_L_Rogers
New Contributor III

James Tedrick‌ Ismael Chivite Elvin Slavik

Hello Survey123 Gurus,

I'm looking for information to see if there is a way that I can reference one Feature Service layer or Relational Table to drive some UI components in a Survey while posting that survey to its own Feature Service layer.

Here's the use case,

I have an existing Feature Service that contains all the Wrecker Companies in Oklahoma that DPS uses for vehicle tows. I have created an app that allows our Wrecker Services Division to keep this updated so that it is always current.

I have created a Survey that allows a Wrecker Service to tow a vehicle and log this service event into a separate Feature Service however; since it also collects the Company information as well as the Drivers data I'd like to be able to reference other Feature Service layers to drive the contents of let's say a Dropdown UI in the Survey.

Can this be accomplished to use another Feature Service or Relational Table as a Reference Table/Source for a separate survey? I was thinking Push/Pull referencing the Features Service or Relational Table as the source but I've either missed that documentation somewhere or it doesn't and exist and therefore may not be a current capability.

Looks something like this in pseudo code...

1) User Opens the Wrecker Service Log survey

2) The survey loads a Company list from a separate feature service called Wrecker Service Companies

3) User selects a Company from the list

4) The survey loads a list of Drivers from a separate feature service or related table called Wrecker Company Drivers

5) User selects a Driver from the list

6) User submits all data back to the survey's own feature service layer called Wrecker Service Log

Moving forward the Company and Driver Data will be two separate layers/tables though related in either a many:many relationship or  1:many (one company many drivers) and 1:many (one driver to many companies) with a join table/layer between them for 5th Normal form considerations though I'm aware this may still be a difficulty within the current AGO Environment.

Thanks for any/all assistance and advice in advance!

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

This is currently not possible in Survey123. That being said, we have an enhancement open to support this type of operation; I've added your use case to the issue.

Christopher_L_Rogers
New Contributor III

Thanks James,

Much appreciation glad to see it on the roadmap.

I wonder, however; might it possible to use Pull data through a REST API Endpoint to a Feature Service layer to achieve this or at least partially?

I shall experiment and see though any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

In the Early Adopter Community, there is a capability being evaluated to allow for custom requests to a feature service that could populate a question.

Christopher_L_Rogers
New Contributor III

Thanks James,

I'll go check it out and report back!

0 Kudos
Christopher_L_Rogers
New Contributor III

Hey James,

I looked in the EA in the "Survey123 for ArcGIS" area but couldn't find the one you're talking about.

Do you know what the Topic is or what it is Titled perhaps?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Just letting you know that in the latest 3.12 beta builds available on the Survey123 Early Adopter Community we have made significant improvements to large choice lists which improve the survey load time in both Connect and the field app.

On top of this there are now some new ways you can manage your choice lists dynamically and update them without having to republish the survey, meaning choice lists can now be populated and updated dynamically from a CSV file or hosted table shared in ArcGIS or directly from a feature service using the search() function. Please check out the latest announcement on EAC and test out these new beta features with the latest 3.12 beta builds.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos