Pointing Survey123 Connect form to secured service does not work.

05-05-2020 08:34 AM
NadineTrahan
New Contributor II

I have followed the steps to set up a secured feature service, but after I place that URL into Survey123 Connect and try Publish the survey, I get the following error: "Request error 403 You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation."

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Nadine, 

For your secured feature service is this a feature service in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise / ArcGIS Server? 

If the service is in ArcGIS Enterprise what version of Enterprise are we using. Alternatively, if we are using a standalone ArcGIS Server what version of ArcGIS Server are you using? 

What URL specifically are you placing in Survey123 Connect? Is the URL https://<portal Url>/sharing/rest/content/items/<Item ID for the Feature Service>? 

Please use this link for a reference regarding using Survey123 with existing feature services: Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Thank you,

Zach 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
NadineTrahan
New Contributor II

Hi Zachary, thanks for quick response. This AGOL. I am using the URL of the secured feature layer, after having placed it into a map and app. This is it... https://utility.arcgis.com/usrsvcs/servers/3054ecddae7243ecb687a6cbce38e858/rest/services/_CCNN_Volu... 

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Nadine, 

The URL specified is for the proxy that is created when you store credentials in the ArcGIS Online item you created. 

The submission URL should look like: 

https://<Your ArcGIS Online Org>.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/3054ecddae7243ecb687a6cbce38e858

Alternatively, the easiest workflow to create a survey based on your secure service is to open ArcGIS Survey123 Connect > Sign in to your ArcGIS Online Organization > New Survey > Feature Service > Search for the ArcGIS Online item that references your secure service's name and give the survey a title. This workflow will automatically populate the submission URL with the correct URL and will automatically create the XLSForm based on the fields in the service. 

Please use this link for the workflow: Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Thank you,

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
NadineTrahan
New Contributor II

And where would I get that url, from the original layer.

0 Kudos
NadineTrahan
New Contributor II

That is a question, sorry. The instructions say to get the url from my secured layer. that is what I did. If that is not correct, then what is the correct location to get my url, is it from the original layer? I tried that and I must expose the data to allow editing by the public for that to work. 

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Nadine, 

To confirm you are trying to create a survey based on your secure service is that correct? Additionally, where are you placing the URL in Survey123 connect? 

Thank you,

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
NadineTrahan
New Contributor II

I have a survey based on my original service. I created a view from that service, made the view public and the original share only with my organization. I pointed the survey to the view url, in the submission_url cell, settings tab of the xls form. When I try to access the from without logging in, I get a message that the survey does not exist. To test, I then make the original service public, log out, refresh the form and I can submit.  So, I am trying to secure the service, but encounter the issue described above.

Is it possible that you could answer my question before I answer more of yours? I need you need to understand my situation, but I have a direct question. Where am I supposed to get the url for the secured service if not from the item details overview of that secured service?

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Nadine, 

I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for passing along some additional information regarding your workflow. 

When you said that you created a view I am not sure where the utility URL is coming from that you had mentioned earlier as a view layer typically has a servicesX.arcgis.com URL and not the utility proxy. The Utility URL usually is generated when a secure service has its credentials stored as an item. 

https://utility.arcgis.com/usrsvcs/servers/3054ecddae7243ecb687a6cbce38e858/rest/services/_CCNN_Volu... 

Originally you had also mentioned that you had placed the above URL into Survey123 Connect and tried to publish the survey but obtained an error message. When you pointed the survey to the view url, in the submission_url cell, settings tab of the xls form were you able to successfully able to republish the survey?

As for what submission URL is the correct URL to use in the submission URL setting for the XLS Form in the documentation to create surveys based on existing services it has a screen capture of how the submission URL should be formatted: 

You will replace the item ID at the end with the item id for whatever feature service you would like to use that matches the schema of the XLS Form. 

I have placed a brief screen recording below of two workflows the first one was creating a view layer and the second one is storing the credentials for a secure service (Both of which point to the same source service and both can be used in Survey123 Connect as the submission URL). I then replace my Submission URL in my XLS Form with the URL for the service that I had stored credentials for and was able to publish the survey successfully. After making the service the submission URL was pointing to and the Web Form public I was able to access the survey without having to log in: 

Thank you,

Zach 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos