PhotoSphere support?

03-07-2022 12:30 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Any work on taking and uploading PhotoSphere 360 images in 123?  On the iPad so far I need to install Google Street view then attach this to a form.  It does seem to be working but most people will not have Google Street view and the app is all scaled wrong.  

I was thinking built into the 123 camera app would be really sweet.

Open to any ideas. Also curious how iPad is using its Lidar in all of this.  Could get to phodar at some point.

thanks

9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

This will only be possible in Survey123 if/when ArcGIS Online and Enterprise support uploading, storing and viewing PhotoSphere 360 images. Currently Survey123 and other Esri apps can only submit images that are supported via ArcGIS Online or Enterprise.

From what I understand of PhotoSphere 360 images, they are basically lots of images taking all together, and then a viewer can read the config and display them all stitched together in a 3D viewer.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Phil the files are still named .jpg so I would think that AGOL would allow it to upload still  PXL_20220227_234037551.PHOTOSPHERE.jpg  I just tested and it seems to go through ok.

I know that we could not view them in AGOL (even though that would be cool) I am just looking for the software to take them.  On Android I can take them with the camera and upload, but on iOS the only way I found is to use Google Street View app.

thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

Yes correct, you will be able to upload any photo format that is supported (.jpg, .png etc) regardless of which app took the photo, provided you can browse to it on the device and select it from the gallery or app location that is shared too. As you mention, in AGO you can not view them stitched together in 3D however.

For iOS I am unsure of a way to take these types of photos and share them to the gallery or an app storage location that is available to Survey123 to select photos from.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is a setting in Google streetview app to add to the photo gallery then you can grab it.  Just seeing if 123 has the ability to add that code to take 360s from the 123 app.  And then imagine being able to annotate that!  Just a wild idea.  I am going to have some crews test it this summer.  Will report back.

thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

Unfortunately that is currently not supported, as the underlying QT framework we use for the camera component does not support 360 photos. Once QT supports this, it would be something we can implement.

For now the best option is to export the photos to the iOS Gallery, and then select them via the browse option.

Regards,

Phil.

RichardPasquale
New Contributor III

Question about Google Street view and photospheres.

I t0o have recently found Photospheres/Spherical photos, but looks like it was a month late.  

Have you found a mobile app that can capture Photospheres/Spherical photos like Google Street view? As Google pulled that app in March. My copy of the app that I downloaded in Oct 22' has stoped working, does your's still function?

I have found a few mobile apps but the quality of the stiching is unacceptable and requires the device to be on network to access a propritary server where the images are stitched and final image stored.

I think with a few distance references captured in the image this type of imagery can be help for PhoDar.

ClarkSelby
New Contributor III

There are two new ways to effortlessly leverage 360 imagery and video in ArcGIS Online and Enterprise.

1. GeoTube for ArcGIS. This tool seamlessly integrates a YouTube video player directly within ArcGIS Experience Builder.  GeoTube allows users to watch YouTube videos (2D or 360) within the web map while simultaneously displaying the associated location, visualizing the video path, and observing the playback location as features on the map. This enhanced user interface provides a comprehensive and intuitive understanding of the spatial relationship between videos and their corresponding geographic locations. You can learn more about GeoTube here: https://www.nodeology.net/geotube/.ClarkSelby_0-1688577541323.jpeg

Visualize in YouTube. Analyze in ArcGIS.

2. SiteViewer 360 for ArcGIS: By capturing your site with a 360 camera, you can immerse yourself in panoramic views, enabling detailed analysis and exploration from every angle. ArcGIS Online 360 demos are available, featuring imagery of Hurricane Ian, Pittsburgh Steps, and Rails-to-Trails, at the bottom of this page:  https://www.nodeology.net/site-viewer-360-for-arcgis/.  ClarkSelby_1-1688577541304.jpegHurricane Ian 360 imagery
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So you have to use a 360 camera to use any of this?  Are you able to pass the video via 123?  I was hoping to use a regular camera.  My Pixel can do it but cannot get it on iPad.

thanks

0 Kudos
ClarkSelby
New Contributor III

With GeoTube for ArcGIS, any GPS-enabled camera, from smartphones to professional 360 cameras, is compatible. Let's discuss your workflow and see if our imagery tools can benefit you. Email me at clark@nodeology.net. Mornings usually work best for me.