Photos not transferred when "Copy sent data to a new survey" (Survey123)

Jump to solution
05-17-2022 04:02 PM
chrisvdw
New Contributor II

I have a survey that contains three repeats.  Each repeats captures photos.  Once the survey is sent and then later the user decides to "Copy sent data to a new survey", the photos do not get loaded into the new survey.

What should I do to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @chrisvdw

This is intended functionality of Survey123, what can be done is if the survey still resides in the Sent folder when the user copies the data to a new survey they can select the folder icon to upload an existing photo on the device. From there Survey123 will ask where to select the image from Photos or Files, have them select Files and navigate to the Survey123 install folder within that folder there will be an ArcGIS folder which will contain a My Survey Attachments folder. That My Survey Attachments folder will contain all the attachments for surveys in the Drafts, Outbox, and Sent folders. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @chrisvdw

This is intended functionality of Survey123, what can be done is if the survey still resides in the Sent folder when the user copies the data to a new survey they can select the folder icon to upload an existing photo on the device. From there Survey123 will ask where to select the image from Photos or Files, have them select Files and navigate to the Survey123 install folder within that folder there will be an ArcGIS folder which will contain a My Survey Attachments folder. That My Survey Attachments folder will contain all the attachments for surveys in the Drafts, Outbox, and Sent folders. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @ZacharySutherby , I came across this post and read your answer - just curious why is this behavior intentional? And would using the "allowUpdates=True query" expression in the XLS form change this? (since this is used to return repeat data when editing an existing survey)

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
chrisvdw
New Contributor II

Since when did this intentional function took place.  In the past this was not an issue.  Is there anyways that I could modify the Survey to allow photos to be transferred/copied to the new survey when selecting "Copy sent data to a new survey".

If that is not an option do you know when will I be able to edit my answers within the Repeats when I select "Edit and resend".

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @chrisvdw @Katie_Clark

Since images in surveys that reside in the Sent folder are stored in the My Survey Attachments folder, when a survey is copied to a new survey the images are not copied in order to ensure image files are preserved in the original survey and no name space issues occur in the My Survey Attachments folder. 

The workflow noted above of browsing to the images and uploading them will ensure that the images are provided a new unique name and won't cause any namespace issues in the My Survey Attachments folder.

To edit answers within the repeat in the Inbox and Sent folder you will need to specify query allowUpdates=true in the bind::esri:parameters column of the XLSForm.  

Thank you,
Zach
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

@ZacharySutherby thanks for taking the time to explain 🙂

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
chrisvdw
New Contributor II

Thank you for you response, that resolved the issue that I had for a very long time.  

0 Kudos
cbolen
by
New Contributor III

Related to the same function, the 'Copy sent data to a new survey' appears to carry over the x,y location as well.  Is that intentional or known limitation of the function.  Points are thus stacked on top of another vs a new location being recorded.

0 Kudos