Photo taken in landscape, displays in portrait (rotated)

08-27-2018 07:47 AM
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

Survey123 field app (Build 3.0.144)

I noticed a few of the photos taken from the field were rotated 90 degrees and wondered why (I recall there was a similar issue awhile ago)

I did a couple test photos in the office and noticed the similar issue of the photo being rotated if taken in landscape and being displayed in portrait with the image rotated 90 degrees. Not sure if anybody else is having the same issue.

Users shouldn't need to manually rotate the image every time it's taken in landscape.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

Only thing I found on geonet is taking a photo outside of Survey123 and browsing for it to get the photo in the correct orientation. This "workaround" has been over a year w/o a fix.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aldous,

What device are you using?  Survey123 should be capturing orientation correctly; that being said, there are a few situations (using HEIC mode on iOS, a specific model of Panasonic Toughpads) where this is not the case.

0 Kudos
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

my phone: iPhone 5S IOS 10.3.3, other phones are iPhones (probably 5S or 6).

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aldous,

Is the rotation occurring only in the app, or the data when viewed in ArcGIS Online as well as the app?

0 Kudos
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

Both in the app and data viewed in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aldous, can you confirm the device and operating system (including version) you are using?

0 Kudos
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

iPhone 5S, iOS 10.3.3 running Survey123 field app (Build 3.0.144)

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aldous - this is a known issue: http://docdev.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/get-answers/knownissuesgetanswers.htm 

The camera view on iPhone is rotated 90 degrees when I hold the device in landscape orientation.

This is an issue with the camera view on an iPhone specifically; the issue is not present on an iPad. It does not affect the orientation of the photo, which remains correctly in landscape orientation. As a workaround, locking your phone's rotation will allow you to take photos while holding the phone in landscape, although it will initially be saved in portrait and should then be rotated.

0 Kudos
Kerry_Shakarjian
New Contributor III

I'm currently having the same issue in ArcMap v10.6.1 with attached photos. The photos are originally portrait and they are being rotated to landscape after being attached. Not a fun way to look at photos that were meant to be viewed in portrait.

0 Kudos