Photo orientation

Jump to solution
04-19-2016 07:36 AM
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

I was wondering if there was a way to get the orientation (portrait, landscape) of the photos taken honoured in Survey123. Regardless of me taking photos in portrait mode, they are always saved and uploaded in landscape mode - same as with Collector. (I guess this is because the photo's exif data is ignored.) This could result in a significant amount of extra time by manually rotating the images after they were extracted, not to mention that they are displayed rotated in a webmap too.

Any chance that there is a workaround for this or some improvements in the pipeline to overcome this?

Cheers,

Zoltan

16 Replies
RafalRudzinski
New Contributor

Has this issue been resolved? We're still experiencing no support for landscape on mobile phones, both iPhone and Android. Landscape mode works great on tablets and PC.

BamJam
by
New Contributor III

Philip,

I know this is thread is a bit old, but wondering if landscape mode is still unsupported with iPhones?  All of our users have iPhones, and they are requesting to be able to take landscape photos.  At this time, when they rotate their phone to landscape when capturing a photo in the S123 field app (v3.13.246), it does not recognize that they have rotated to landscape.  S123_LandscapeOrientationIssue.jpg

I've looked and cannot find any info on how to control orientation of photos captured.

Thank you,
Brandon

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @BamJam,

The field app on a iPhone or small phone factor device only support portrait mode. On larger tablets landscape is also supported. This will not change in near future as is a limitation of the underlying AppStudio framework and the design of the applications currently.

However, when using the camera in Survey123, it is still possible to capture landscape image. Provided that orientation lock is not enabled on the device, when the phone is turned to landscape, the image will be captured in landscape, and added back to the form preview and stored as a landscape image. The control in the camera will still remain in portrait though.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
BamJam
by
New Contributor III

Thank you for the explanation...

Brandon

AmerNeely
New Contributor

Just a quick note from a newbie user of ArcGIS Earth. On my iPad (9th Generation) running iOS 16.1.1 it also is stuck in Portrait mode, and nothing Apple or anyone else suggested could alter that. So looking forward to any changes in that software as well. 

0 Kudos
MasonLogan
New Contributor

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @BamJam,

The field app on a iPhone or small phone factor device only support portrait mode. On larger tablets landscape is also supported. This will not change in near future as is a limitation of the underlying AppStudio framework and the design of the applications currently.

However, when using the camera in Survey123, it is still possible to capture landscape image. Provided that orientation lock is not enabled on the device, when the phone is turned to landscape, the image will be captured in landscape, and added back to the form preview and stored as a landscape image. The control in the camera will still remain in portrait though.

Regards,

Phil.

Once you captured Photos it will display in portrait mood. Same is the case study is also with me.

I was wondering its solution and thanks here I found the solution. 

Regard Picsart Mod

0 Kudos
zaynakbar
New Contributor

Similar issues or questions surrounding photo orientation plague me. When taking a picture on our iPhones with our screens in landscape orientation, the image displayed on the screen (the preview) truly depicts a portrait, but snapping the picture actually captures it in the landscape after confirming the attachment. The user finds this behavior to be quite puzzling. Do I need to raise this as a technical support issue?

Regards Picsart old

0 Kudos