Passing Data from One Survey to Another - Limitations?

04-06-2020 07:14 AM
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

I am working on a project where multiple surveys are needed, each depending upon what data are collected and how they are collected. I have been testing the linking of a main survey (collects some items such as name, date, and location) which passes some basic info to a couple of child surveys with some success. From the child survey, a third survey would be called, with some similar info passed to it. I have run into a few issues:

1. Is there a limitation on what type of info can be passed from one survey to another? I have success passing text info, but not a date or a text value created using Calculate.

2. I can pass a text value from a parent to a child survey but not able to pass the same text value from a child to a grandchild survey. Is the ability to pass data from one survey another limited to one step/generation?

I'll continue to experiment and test, but any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Chris Anderson

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

In general, Survey123 is not designed to pass data directly from one form to another - doing this does not save or close the previous form. 

0 Kudos
Chris_Anderson

Thanks, James. Keeping the previous form open works in this case, because I can go back and answer further questions (e.g. start main survey by counting trailers when you arrive, access second/third survey, then back to first survey and count trailers as you leave).

I want to explore this idea of passing (some) data from one survey to another. I’ll keep testing.

Chris

0 Kudos
Chris_Anderson

Hi, James. I figured out my problem.

The parameters I used for passing info from one survey to another was something like this:

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=XXXXXXXXXX&field:Calculate_Child=${Calculate}&Text_Child=${Text}&Integer_Child=${Integer}

In this case , the child survey only sees the info for Calculate_Child and ignores the other info passed. The solution is to add "field:" between the ampersand and the item name. So, the following code works:

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=5dfc871a764f4659a3d6c1167d38b5d0&field:Calculate_Child=${Calculate}&field:Text_Child=${Text}&field:Integer_Child=${Integer}

Chris

0 Kudos