Pass geoshape (or geotrace) geometry to survey using custom URL parameters

12-10-2020 06:48 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to pass the geometry of a shapefile (poly or line) from a layer in a webmap to a geoshape/geotrace question using custom URL parameters? I presume this would require the geometry parameters to be stored as "space-separated sets of latitude and longitude values (in decimal degrees) separated by a semicolon" in a field, with that field then passed to the survey form using the appropriate URL parameter. In this case, is there a workflow for extracting and storing geometry attributes of lines or polygons as comma-separated strings? This is not a problem for point data (e.g. via Add Geometry Attributes in ArcGIS Pro). The intended workflow is that the surveyor selects the feature they are surveying in a webmap/Explorer and launches and auto-fills the survey form directly using custom URL parameters.

This blog mentions an option to use Arcade expressions to extract the x and y geometry of a point feature, but I can't work out if and how this could be used for line or poly features. Furthermore we would like to store the geometry attributes in a field from a different layer, so that though the user selects a point for simplicity, that point has associated line or shape geometry from the other layer for use in the survey form.
Many thanks,
Rob

4 Replies
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am also wondering this. Did you ever solve the riddle? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AprilChipman

Has anyone gotten this to work?

0 Kudos
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @AprilChipman 

I haven't been able to make it work for my data. I think it could possibly work for grids or if each polygon in the feature class/service has the same amount of vertices. At least that is what I gather by reading the documentation. I have restructured the workflow of a few of my surveys to have the survey write to a related table of the feature class/service, but then you have to get into writing a view if the data are not hosted in AGOL. Another Survey I have set up to be opened in the S123 App Survey Inbox - so they would select the polygon in the map or list after refreshing the inbox.... So I have found other ways, but they are not as seamless as the way I have surveys that pull in the geopoints  with Custom URLs.

If anyone else has solved this, or finds a new post about alternatives I would love to know. 

Thanks

AprilChipman

I found this topic that may be a solution. I'm trying to implement it in my survey to see if I can get it to work.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-with-collector-set-geotrace/m-p/7...

0 Kudos