Orthometric Heights (MSL) and GNSS Configuration on Survey123 field app

05-14-2020 01:06 AM
ZivCohen-Sollal
New Contributor III

I'm using a gnss gps (Trimble Catalyst) with the Survey123 field app and Collector (Android), the Trimble Catalyst is used with the Trimble Mobile Manager app.

the Trimble Mobile Manager ALTITUDE output is displaying two values:

1. Height above ellipsoid (HAE).

2. Height above mean sea level (MSL)

in the collector app the ALTITUDE is receiving the MSL value and in the Survey123 field app the ALTITUDE is receiving the HAE value .

i tried several geopoint properties  codes in the Survey123 form:

pulldata("@geopoint",${location},"z")

pulldata("@geopoint",${location},"altitude ")

and it always getting the HAE value.

after some searching i found that ESRI is updated the collector app to the new TMM MSL value and it's updating it the the altitude field.

Trimble Mobile Manager Adds Orthometric Height Support, Geodetic Functionality | Trimble Geospatial 

Orthometric Heights with Trimble GNSS & Esri Collector (Part 1 of 4)

will Survey123 field app be update to the new settings as well?

if the collector "knows" to take the MSL value  what is the geopoint properties for the Survey123?

i know that i can update the geoidSeparation in the Survey123 field app but if i will get that value directly from the TMM it is better accuracy.

3 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Ziv,

I don't know of any plans to update the Survey123 altitude field settings.

Are are using the Trimble Mobile Manager app as the mock location provider on Android? If so, Survey123 may not be getting all the position data anyway. Is it possible to connect the Catalyst by adding it as a location provider directly in Survey123?

Brett

0 Kudos
ZivCohen-Sollal
New Contributor III

Hi,

Since Survey123 update that stop supporting usb connection, the Catalyst  cannot connect directly in Survey123.

Ziv

0 Kudos
Hegik
by
New Contributor III

Hello Ziv,

I think we are having a similar problem. I talked about it here (Measure the orthometric height in Field Maps - Esri Community

In Field Maps / Collector the orthometric height is shown, but when I save, the HAE will be saved.

I know that this is not a solution. As to my knoweledge there are only postprocessing workarounds available.