Option to create new survey from existing survey in organization removed?

06-07-2023 04:08 PM
AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

In the past, there was an option within Survey123 Connect to create a new survey based on other existing published surveys within your organization. It was different from the option to create from a Feature Service, in that it pulled the exact XLS form and configuration from that survey, instead of just creating a generic template of questions based on the data field types. This was incredibly helpful for IT/admins for troubleshooting purposes, because it allowed you to create a copy of other users' surveys and test solutions or workarounds without editing the originals.

I recently upgraded Survey123 Connect to v3.17.55 and see that this option is no longer there (can't remember what version I was on before, now). Under Organization, it now only has the 'Feature services' option.

Is this intentional? Are there any plans to bring this option back? Perhaps user error? I see the workaround could be to use the 'File' option and upload a copy of their xlsx, but the extra steps of guiding the user to locate and send over that file is a pretty inconvenient back step in functionality when the option was there in the past. Below is an image of the current options in 3.17.55.

s123_317.png

-Aaron
7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Go to your list of surveys, find the survey you want to copy, then just do "save as..." to create an exact copy of it.

jcarlson_0-1686231873624.png

If you need to submit data to the copy and want to keep things separate from the original layer, just open up the settings tab of the XLS file and remove the submission URL. When you go to publish the copy, it will create a new layer.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
AaronKoelker

Hi Josh,

The issue is copying surveys from another user within the organization, not one of my own forms. So the 'Save As' isn't an option in this case, as you can't see other user's survey forms within Connect.

-Aaron
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, I see! I make all the surveys for my org, so I didn't know that.

Well, if you have access to the form to see it at least, you can use <your-portal-url>/sharing/rest/content/items/<form-itemid>/data to download the package that includes the XLS file, and you'd be able to push a new form out from that.

It would be a lot easier if you could just see other forms in your org, though. Maybe someone from the S123 team can speak to why the feature was removed.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AaronKoelker

That URL download path is a great catch, thanks Josh! That will make things a bit simpler for us again, but agree it would be nice to hear from someone on the S123 team. Appreciate the help!

-Aaron
0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmmm, I am afraid you are right! That's strange. I also always found that very handy.

Hopefully they hear us and bring it back!

0 Kudos
AlisonOBrien
Esri Contributor

Hi @AaronKoelker ,

I have Survey123 Connect version 3.18 and there is the option to create a new survey from existing surveys in your organization. 

Let me know if you are able to see the same thing by updating to version of Survey123 Connect 3.18.

Alison O.

Esri Canada

0 Kudos
AaronKoelker

Hello @AlisonOBrien,

I went to download the latest from the Survey123 website, which appears to be 3.19. I'm still not seeing the option though, unless it was added back for 3.18 and removed again in 3.19, which would be weird. My New Survey window still looks the same as the screenshot in my original post, above.

-Aaron
0 Kudos