Only users on portal with a "Creator" user type can submit to a survey even when shared as "Public"

Jump to solution
02-21-2022 02:21 PM
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

I have an enterprise geodatabase table that I published to my organizations portal as a feature service. From that feature service I created a survey in Survey123 Connect. Due to our license we only have a limited number of user types that are creators and a surplus of viewers. So the users who would be using my survey would be viewers. Because of that I thought i could share the feature service and the survey as public and then anyone on our network would be able to submit to it (even without an account). However users without an account cannot submit and also users with a viewer account.

When submitting on no account I get a 500 error and when submitting on a viewer account i get an error message stating i do not have edit privileges.

Is there anyway to make my survey public and submissions open to anyone from the feature service? Or maybe there is another way I can go about this?

KristinVernon1_0-1645481977843.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

Ultimately I found that my error was how the feature service was being shared. I hadn't allowed it to make geometry updates and I had the editors only being allowed to make updates only. My mistake.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Hi Kristin

That should work if you've shared the feature service and the survey to everyone.  Something to check is whether the portal items for both the feature layer and the map image layer created from publishing the service are shared to everyone - with feature access being a capability of a map service, it is necessary to share both portal items.

Hope this helps!

Craig

Edit: While I've seen issues with this in the past, I have verified that having different permissions on the map image layer and the feature layer shouldn't be an issue in this instance.

0 Kudos
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

Hey thanks for responding, I've set everything to public in the portal, do you mean when publishing from ArcPro there is something I have to set to public from there? Here is how i have it shared in the portal:

KristinVernon1_0-1645558775003.png

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

So I probably didn't make it clear that the feature layer I'm using is not hosted. But still I share it as public and when submitting a survey anonymously I get this error:

KristinVernon1_0-1645566822412.png

0 Kudos
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the updates Kristin.  The sharing all looks good there. 

What happens if you open the rest endpoint for the feature service in a private/incognito tab without signing in?  Can you access it and see the editing operations like Apply Edits, Add Features etc.?

0 Kudos
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

Is this what you mean (openend in an incognito window):

KristinVernon1_0-1645569581067.pngKristinVernon1_1-1645569595458.png

0 Kudos
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

There's nothing showing under layers or tables - can you navigate to any of the layer IDs?  i.e. add /0 or /1 etc. to the FeatureServer URL?

0 Kudos
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

My apologies I do have something under "Tables" but I mistakenly cropped it out, I can also open it in incognito:

KristinVernon1_0-1645575178026.png

KristinVernon1_1-1645575210826.png

0 Kudos
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Well that all looks pretty good...

Going back to what happens on submission, could you please run the developer tools in your browser while submitting so that you can capture network and console entries?  If you don't want to go through the trouble of sanitizing them to post here then you can PM them to me if you like.

0 Kudos
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

Hey sorry went to bed, I'm sorry what developer tools are you referring to? I may be a bit green in this area. Do you have a link?

0 Kudos