No Comma (,) is added in multiple selection field

Jump to solution
04-29-2020 03:47 PM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor II

Hello all, 

I have a few questions with select_multiple in my survey, and found that the answers collected here were not stored with comma. 

For example, when I select English and French for language skills, the value stored is 'English French', rather than 'English,French' in the table. I am not sure what setting removes comma. 

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Kerry reached out to the Survey123 team directly with his survey.  There are 2 issues:

- Many of the select_multiple questions were using the autocomplete appearance, which is not supported

- There is an issue in using select_multiples in internal form calculations on the web form - they are presented as space separated lists, not the expected comma separated lists.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kerry,

Can you please provide some more details, are you using AGO or Portal, if so what version?

How did you create the survey, via Connect or web designer? And how are the surveys being collected, via field app or web app? Also what versions?

Where are you viewing the data, AGO or Survey123 web designer?

And lastly, can you share the xlsx file of the survey so we can take a closer look?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KerryKang

Hello Phil, 

I am using AGO, Survey123 Connect version 3.7. Currently it is being tested with web form only, and keep it under version 3.7 as 3.9 shows some html tags while loading the survey. I viewed the collected data in the feature layer data view on AGO, survey data view as well as downloaded in excel, and all of them do not show 'comma' where multiple choices were selected.

I can definitely share my survey. We hope to launch this soon to get ready for the emergency season.. it would be great if I can get more advice!

Thanks!.

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Kerry reached out to the Survey123 team directly with his survey.  There are 2 issues:

- Many of the select_multiple questions were using the autocomplete appearance, which is not supported

- There is an issue in using select_multiples in internal form calculations on the web form - they are presented as space separated lists, not the expected comma separated lists.

JoeWells27
New Contributor

Is it possible to replace the comma with another character.  A pipe | or semicolon ; for example? 

0 Kudos
JodyZhengLiu
Esri Contributor

Hi Kerry,

The issue of select_multiple questions submitted on the web form is fixed to comma-separated and will be available when the latest version 3.10 is updated in early July. Would you please have a try then?

Thanks,

Jody Zheng Liu  

0 Kudos
KerryKang

Sounds great! yes, definitely I will try it out with v.3.10.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@JamesTedrick 

Hi James,  Was this fix implemented?  I am having the same issue with my select multiples.  Submitted from the app, commas are included, but not from the web.  The appearance is set to minimal compact, horizontal-compact, or horizontal.  There are "selected" relevant statements on most for "other fields" and then another text field which concatenates all the select others.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Jim

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am working with tech support on this also.  They had me remove the field type binding for esriFieldTypeString in the Connect style sheet and republish.  The commas now get entered in the select multiple questions.  Of note: I left the field length binding because some of the fields are more than 255.

0 Kudos