Multiple Photos in Survey123

Jump to solution
09-16-2015 08:28 AM
TonyStrothers
New Contributor III

Hello,

We are wanting to use Survey123 for a field inspection form and we were wondering if Survey123 can be set to take multiple pictures without having to set each picture as its own field. Either one picture or 12 pictures. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, how is it done?

Thanks!

Tony

42 Replies
ErnestoCarreras3
Occasional Contributor

Is there anything else that needs to be done for the pictures to get attached to the collected feature? I followed the instructions as described above and in the help, but when I send the survey back to the feature service, and download the layer as a SHP or FGDB, the images are not being downloaded with it. Also they won't display in AGOL.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ernesto,

here are a couple of things to look at:

• Images get persisted as geodatabase attachments. As such, you should be able to see them related to the features you create. If you add the Survey feature service into a web map, you should be able to see the attachments when you click on them to bring the popup. The exception to this rule is images within a repeat. The issue in this case is that the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer does not support displaying attachments on related tables.  ArcMap however is able to see the images in this case (through the identify tool), once you download the data in FileGeodatabase format.
  • When you add your feature service to the Web Map in ArcGIS.com, make sure you add it from your 'Contents' ta rather than through the link in the survey123 web site.
  • When you download the data, you should use FileGeodatabase format, because otherwise the attachments do not get downloaded.
  • If you do not see the attachments anywhere, then check with folks capturing data as they may be getting errors while sending the images from their phone.  If the connection is not strong, large image uploads may fail. This is a common problem people have reported and we are working on a fix.
irishadar
New Contributor III

Hi,

What would be you suggestion If I need the user to writ caption for the images they take.

Thanks in advanced ,

Iris hadar

0 Kudos
JevitaWebster
New Contributor III

I would suggest a description field

Sent from my iPhone

irishadar
New Contributor III

I do need a description field, so can you be more specific?

This is what I have done but the next image appears even if I don’t want to

add another one and it is a bit confusing to the user

​​

Image_field_1

תמונה 1

text

SPIC1

תיאור תמונה 1

Image_field_2

תמונה 2

$!="" text SPIC2 תיאור תמונה 2 $!=""

thanks

iris hadar

בתאריך יום ד׳, 18 ביולי 2018, 16:34, מאת Jevita Webster ‏<geonet@esri.com>:

GeoNet <https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Multiple Photos in Survey123

reply from Jevita Webster

<https://community.esri.com/people/Jevita_Webster?et=watches.email.thread>

in Survey123 for ArcGIS - View the full discussion

<https://community.esri.com/message/785515?commentID=785515&et=watches.email.thread#comment-785515>

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Iris,

Have you tried using the relevant statements for both the second image question and description (text) question to make them not relevant until there is an answer for the first image and description question. This way the second lot of questions only show up once the first ones are answered.

Phil.

Luis_AlbertoFuentes
New Contributor

thank you so much for your answer, i was looking for download the attached images as well  

0 Kudos
PatriciaAlgura
New Contributor III

Hi, 

I also had this configured in my form through a repeat, and the image question is required. However, if the user tries to delete all the records within the repeat, the question will no longer display; and they can continue submitting surveys without attaching any images. Also tried requiring the repeat group if it would do the trick, I checked that it's working on the field app but not on the web form.
Is there a way to disable deleting the first record in a repeat?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

No, it is not possible to disable the delete button on a repeat. Have you tried using the new multiline appearance for image questions, so that you do not have to use a repeat, that way they can add multiple photos but the image question will always be required, meaning they must add at least one photo. You can also use constraints to control the min and max number of photos allowed that way.

The only other to achieve this with repeats would be to use a count in a field outside of the repeat to count the number of repeats added, and base a constraint on that number to alert the user and stop them submitting if the constraint is not met. Otherwise you could try use repeat count, but that would force the number of repeats as set.

Regards,

Phil.

PatriciaAlgura
New Contributor III

Wow! Just tried using multiline, solved my problem. Looks like the best option for me.
Follow up question, would my FS id update if I remove my repeat? Thanks

0 Kudos