Multi-part survey - can it be done.

03-13-2019 10:31 AM
DonOldridge
New Contributor

I am new to Survey123, and am looking to build a solution to track the transfer of gravel from various pits to the road segment it was dumped on.

The first stage involves the loader operator supplying some information:

1) Truck name

2) Gravel type

3) Ticket# (hopefully autogenerated by Survey123

4) Source Pit (ideally calculated by location of loader, but I think that is in beta right now)

5) Weight of gravel loaded

Then the truck driver would receive the ticket. The truck driver needs to know the weight, and accept the load. The trucker should not be able to change the information entered by the loader operator.

Finally, the person placing the load of gravel (the checker) needs to supply the road segment the load is placed on. Ideally the road segment would be calculated from the location of the checker, and the check would really just be receiving the load. We would like the actual location of the checker when the load was received as well. The checker should not be able to change the information the load operator entered.

Does this sound like something that can be accomplished without too much pain in Survey123? We have other options including Geocortex, but need to do this as simply as possible.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Don,

This can be accomplished using Survey123.  In particular, you would create 3 forms that all use the same feature service.  Given the basics you describe above, the feature service would have the following fields:

1. Truck name
  2. Gravel type
  3. Ticket# (hopefully autogenerated by Survey123
  4. Source Pit (ideally calculated by location of loader, but I think that is in beta right now)
  5. Weight of gravel loaded
  6. Driver approval
  7. Road segment
  8. Checker approval
  9. Checker location

Given the description of the workflow, questions 1-5 would be filled in the first form by the loader.

The second form would display 1-5 as read only and add question 6

The third form would display 1-5 as read only and add questions 7-9

The second and third forms would be configured to use the Inbox to load partially created forms.  One thing that would help would to apply a filter in the Inbox to show only those forms that don't have question 6 (for the second from) or question 7 (for the third form) answered to prevent display of already completed forms.

While this can accomplish the workflow, this may be a bit simplistic if you need to have more detailed matching of assignments from the loader to driver to checker.

0 Kudos
DonOldridge
New Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for the great info – we will pursue this further, and I may have more detailed questions as we move ahead.

0 Kudos