Making changes to S123 feature service after creation

Jump to solution
08-14-2017 08:28 PM
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

This follows on from a question I had earlier about issues I was experiencing in trying to create a local copy of data for editing. I suspect it is to do with field aliases (which are sourced from the Label column in XForms).

I've made some changes to my Xforms document and republished the survey (deliberate changes so as to not force re-creation of the feature service). The changes are primarily to the Label field to shorten it up and remove any special characters that may be causing issues.

My question is - will these changes flow through to the feature service, or will the FS remain static with the original schema that was generated on initial upload?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anthony,

If you are only making changes to the labels, then you aren't technically making schema changes- that normally refers to the addition/deletion of fields/questions.  That being said, Survey123 Connect currently does not update the aliases when the labels change.  

If special characters in the label (alias) are an issue, I'll point out that there is a column in the spreadsheet called bind::esri:fieldAlias, which will specifically override the question label for the alias.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anthony,

If you are only making changes to the labels, then you aren't technically making schema changes- that normally refers to the addition/deletion of fields/questions.  That being said, Survey123 Connect currently does not update the aliases when the labels change.  

If special characters in the label (alias) are an issue, I'll point out that there is a column in the spreadsheet called bind::esri:fieldAlias, which will specifically override the question label for the alias.