Make a question required conditionally based on answer to previous question

Jump to solution
03-30-2017 08:07 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

I asked this a while back to no avail and question came up again so I thought I'd try give it another try.

I'd like to make a question conditionally required, that is I would always like it to visible however if a previous question is answered a certain way I would like the question to be required. Does any one know if this is possible?

Here is a link to my original question: Survey 123 Conditionally Required Question

24 Replies
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Does anyone know if this functionality is available on the https://survey123.arcgis.com site?

Cheers

0 Kudos
LisaDygert
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nick,

I have a similar issue with the need to make a survey element conditionally required based on previous answers, but mine is with a geoshape question type.  Basically, if a paper map or digital map exists, then I want it to be optional that they delineate the boundary.  If, however, the source is from a written description, local knowledge, etc., then I want them to be required to draw the boundary.  Having multiple geoshape question types in the same form I would think would be rather problematic.  Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how I can accomplish this task with geoshape question types?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lisa

0 Kudos
NickDierks1
Occasional Contributor II

I haven't been keeping up with S123 lately, so I'm not too familiar with the new question types. You're right that the workaround shouldn't be able to apply to your situation as neatly. Is there a way to check whether or not a geoshape question has been answered? I know you can do this with non-geo questions. Basically a hidden question doing an internal check "Geoshape is null?" or something like that. Set it up so that it only checks when the data source is not a map, and constrain it so that it throws an error when the geoshape has not been answered.

Those are a few big ifs (checking the status of a geoshape answer; how conditional constraints are handled), but hopefully they'll lead you toward a solution!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even though there is just a yes in the drop down you can still put a calc in the required column.  Just have it evaluate to true.
You did not post field names but something like ${description type} = "written" will do it.

Hope that helps

LisaDygert
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much Doug.  That worked!!  I really appreciate it!!!

0 Kudos