Linking Survery123/Collector, Creates Duplicate Points

11-18-2019 09:52 AM
KitJones
New Contributor II

I have a workflow which require calling Survey123 from Collector.  I currently have a custom URL which opens a Survey123 form when recording a point in Collector.  I created the Survey123 form from the feature service used in Collector using he procedure outlined here: Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation.  I can successfully open the Survey123 form from collector and record all fields into the feature service however it appears both Collector and Survey123 are creating points, resulting in a duplicate recording. The Collector point has no attributes and the Survey123 point has all fields correcting filled from the form.  Is there a way create one point from the recording?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MikailaBell
New Contributor III

If you are editing features, this is not an issue. However, it sounds like you are using the "Collect" feature in both -- and yes, that will duplicate your data. 

I'd recommend loading your data first and editing records with the Inbox. That way your one set of records is in both S123 and Collector, and you're updating, not adding.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
KitJones
New Contributor II

We are using Collector to collect new features then using Survey123 to fill in the attributes, is there a way to do this with new features? I've tried passing the global ID of the feature recorded in Collector with no luck.

0 Kudos
MikailaBell
New Contributor III

Until you submit the newly collected record in S123, there is no global ID to pass. (The GUID is created when the record is added to the database. That happens after you submit the survey instance, by definition.)

You are creating the pole in two places. That is why you are seeing it in duplicate.

What I would do, if I were trying to collect in both S123 and Collector for new records, is use the hyperlink to pass info from one to the other. Then record in one and only one system.

More info on passing parameters through S123 and Collector: 

1. https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

2. https://community.esri.com/ideas/13566  

0 Kudos
KitJones
New Contributor II

Ok I think I am understanding this better.  The way I set it up now I add a point in collector and submit it. This adds it to the database. I then have custom URL which opens Survey123, but it looks like it's creating a new point instead of updating the attributes in the current one.  Is there anyway to update that point through a custom URL which opens the form associated with that recording other than through the inbox in Suvery123? That is kinda clunky workfow for the speed we are collecting information at.

0 Kudos
EmilyZeilberger
New Contributor II

Hi Kit, 

Did you ever find a solution to recording the location in Collector and the attributes in Survey123 without it creating duplicate points? I have the exact same workflow for field inspections and I'm trying to eliminate the duplicate points. Or were you forced to pass the attributes from one app to the other and only record in one system?

0 Kudos
KitJones
New Contributor II

Hi Emily,

Yes and no. You should be able to feed the location in Collector to Survey 123 through a custom URL and Global ID, however this does not work if you are offline, which was the case for us. So we ended up having to build everything in Collector and loosing some functionality. Depends on your workflow.

Good luck!

Kit

0 Kudos
ChrisMatechik
New Contributor

Hi Kit,

I know exactly what you are going through. I had to make a really complicated workflow that had many different types of features. Some needed to be added as new feature, some needed to be updated at specific times based on other criteria and were indicated by symbology changes (this is not possible in Survey123 inbox, but works in Collector), and we had over 40 fields but they weren't always relevant, so we really benefited from the smart form abilities of Survey123. In short, we needed features from both Collector and Survey123. We used the Custom URL as suggested above, but with a little trick to make the final workflow less "clunky" for field users, but it adds a little more work on the data management side. 

You CANNOT use a custom URL to open an existing record in Survey123 (unless they have added the feature in the past year), nor can you have a link to take you to Survey123 when you are adding a feature in Collector. You can only link to Survey123 when you open the popup of existing features. This is obviously a huge limitation that ESRI has failed to address, but we worked around it.

As I said, we really needed Survey123 for the smart form abilities so we collected all of our initial data in Survey123. A few fields needed to be edited on occasion, so I made this visible in the popup so they could quickly be edited in Collector without navigating through Survey123's inbox map. The caveat is I limited this to simple fields that would not require any smart form capabilities or conditional formatting. 

For more complicated updates, I did need to use Survey123, but I wanted to be able to do it directly from Collector so I setup another Survey123 with the updatable fields. Users would click the feature in Collector and then follow a hyperlink to the new survey. The hyperlink would also pass the my own ID code (I used this instead of the recommended GUID because for some reason when I opened the data in ArcGIS pro it changed the case of the letters and broke the links.) to the new Survey. Then I used an arcade script, behind the scenes, to apply the changes from the new survey to the original survey. To the field workers the main drawbacks were they had to submit 2 surveys at the end of  the day (we were working offline) and they had to swithc back and forth between Collector (to Navigate and update features) and Survey123 (strictly for adding new features).

It's a lot more work on the back end though. I wish ESRI would just make the inbox map more useful, or give us the ability to use conditional formatting and calculated fields in Collector . It would make the Apps so much more useful for complicated workflows. Currently, without some knowledge of programming, Survey 123 is only useful for initial collection and infrequent / basic updates, and Collector is useful for simple data schemes.

0 Kudos