Link an online map to your survey

12-20-2021 04:41 PM
Sean_McKnight
New Contributor III

I am trying to use a map I created containing randomly generated points as a base map for field sampling. I made the map in ArcGIS, shared as a webmap to ArcMaps Online with my university organization, searched for the map in Survey123 Connect and added it in the Linked Content tab, but it does not appear as an option in the survey123 mobile app. I tried republishing the survey and redownloading it on the field app. It's not there.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Laura_B
Esri Contributor

Hey @Sean_McKnight , have you tried this workflow in the documentation?

0 Kudos
Sean_McKnight
New Contributor III

Yes @Laura_B , I followed these steps:

Link an online map to your survey

To make an online map available to users of a survey, the online map must be linked to the survey. You can do this in Survey123 Connect.

1. Open your survey in Survey123 Connect.
  2. Open the Linked Content tab.
  3. Click Add Map Link. A window appears with all the map services and packages shared to your named user account.
  4. Select your preferred online map, and click OK.

This link is instant, and the survey does not need to be republished to use. In the Survey123 field app, you can immediately browse to the full-screen map view of a question, and from the basemap selector, choose your newly linked online map.

***EDIT: extra detail- the Gasparilla Random Points is the desired basemap. It is there in the first screenshot in Linked Content in Survey123 Connect, but does not appear in the field app.

0 Kudos
Sean_McKnight
New Contributor III

Screenshot_20211220-204651_Survey123.jpg

Screenshot_20211220-204659_Survey123.jpg

0 Kudos
Sean_McKnight
New Contributor III

@Laura_B I made the map "Gasparilla Random Points" public to see if that would help even though I was logged in to my organization on the field app, and I am now able to see the basemap as an option (first screenshot I just posted) but only when viewing the map through a map entry question, which would be fine. However, with that selected (screenshot #2), I don't actually see any of the map contents, namely the random points (as shown in the ArcGIS Online screenshot #3). What's wrong, why doesn't the basemap appear properly?

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Sean_McKnight,

The screen shots of the field app looks like the location status menu. Can you see the linked web map in the field app if you open the map for a geopoint question within the survey? If you have the inbox enabled you could also check the inbox map to see if your linked map is visible.

Thanks,
-Barbara

0 Kudos
Sean_McKnight
New Contributor III

I thought I should be able to see the basemap from there as well, is that not the case? I do see it as an option within a geopoint question, but when I select it, it does not show the points or anything on the map (see above, just posted)

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Since the linked content is associated with a specific survey and the location status menu is more of a settings menu that isn't tied to a specific survey, it just shows the default basemaps.

For the Gasparilla Random Points map do the feature layers have the same sharing permissions as the web map?

-Barbara

0 Kudos