Limit repeat count in Survey123 without the _count field in schema

12-05-2019 02:01 PM
BamJam
by
New Contributor III

I survey that is using a submission url with an existing feature service and I am trying to limit a repeat count to 1, but avoid the _count field being included in the schema.    I've read that this is possible by referencing another field in the repeat_count column.  I have attempted this, but it seems to add the {repeat}_count field to the schema regardless of what I enter in the repeat_count column of the repeat question.  Does anyone have an example form that limits the repeat count of a repeat question, but does not require the _count field to be added to the schema? 

19 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brandon,

I believe that I addressed this at this comment - unfortunately, the workaround no longer works.

0 Kudos
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

Are there any plans to fix this?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gregg,

While noted, it's not in the immediate roadmap to fix - another workaround is to have a field in the feature service with _count, whether necessary or not for data purposes.  It would be helpful if you could file an enhancement request via Esri support, which would allow us to track the impact of this.

BamJam
by
New Contributor III

James,

Our issue with adding this field to the feature service is that our back end DBMS is Oracle, and all field names are created with all uppercase characters.  Unfortunately, Survey123 Connect creates the _count field in all lowercase, which is preventing the publishing from completing due to the case mismatch.  I have tried to run the alter field gp tool to change the case of the field in the feature class, but it does not change.  I've also attempted this workaround to accomplish changing the case of the field, but it did not work either.  So, it seems I don't have control to change the case of the field name in our Oracle db, or in Survey123 Connect.  Even though the field exists in our feature service, Survey123 Connect will not recognize it.  Any suggestions on how to get around this?

0 Kudos
DishaGori2
New Contributor II

Hi Brandon, 

Were you ever able to resolve this issue with Oracle field names for '_count.'. Am running into the same issue and practically cannot use reapeat_count in the survey at the moment. 

Disha

0 Kudos
BamJam
by
New Contributor III

Hello Disha,

I was not able to resolve the issue with the _count field in Oracle. The

workaround I came up with was to use a hosted feature service with

Survey123, then sync the data collected in the hosted data store to my

enterprise Oracle geodatabase using FME on a nightly basis. This allows

the Survey123 app to honor repeat count and have the necessary _count field

in the hosted feature service. I ignore the _count field in the hosted

feature service when syncing the data to my enterprise Oracle database.

Hope that helps, good luck!

DishaGori2
New Contributor II

Thanks Brandon for the quick reply! I was thinking something similar too. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well there is ideal and then there is making it work for now right .   I have actually started taking almost all of my repeat_count fields back out and going this way.  Esp with nested repeats I am finding a number of issues.  Mostly having to hit Add records all the time.  Also seeing the repeat disappear at times.  In the nested repeat it is also staying on the repeat it was on when the level above it changes, which is messing users up.  (If inner repeat is on 50 of 50 and you advance the outer repeat the inner stays on 50 requiring the user to scroll all the way back - note you can long press but not many know that.  This causes issues for other tricks I try to do.)  I have also seen memory errors with repeat_count since it loads all the repeats at once.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
GlenGardner1
New Contributor III

Did this Enhancement Request ever get created? Is there or should there be an Idea with voting created in ArcGIS Ideas?

I too would like to have this working. My use case is that I only want to create one new record in a repeat from selecting a feature in an Inbox per submission.

0 Kudos