Limit a Public Survey to one response?

10-05-2018 05:56 AM
MattCobb
New Contributor II

I have a client that is concerned about his constituents potentially skewing a survey by adding multiple survey responses from the same user.  Is there a good way to limit a survey response to one submission, say per IP address (when using the web survey)? 

Tags (1)
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

It is not currently possible to limit public survey submission via IP address or other user identifiable attributes. 

Phil.

0 Kudos
SunnyWisher
New Contributor III

Why not?  Is there any possible workaround so that it can be used to get usable results?  This should be an enhancement request.  At the very least use cookies, although there are ways to get around that at least it's something.

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sunny,

As you point out, a cookie can be easily worked around by the use of multiple browsers or clearing cookie settings.  IP restrictions cannot work because it is very common for an internal network (say from one company) to be aggregated into a single public IP; this would restrict users from submitting if another person in their organization submitted previously.  We are researching this topic to consider other methodologies of creating unique survey entries.

0 Kudos
SunnyWisher
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply and apologies for not replying back to you sooner.  I did see your reply in email when you posted it.

I think that a cookie option would at least be a relatively simple start.  IMHO, it's creates at least an obstacle that people would have to go around in order to skew results, and doing something is better than doing nothing at all.  Survey Monkey and others implement the cookie strategy to prevent this problem, so why not do the same?  I would assume most respondents would not care to take the time to respond multiple times, and for those who might want to their level of technological intellect may not enable them to expose the workaround.  

So, why not do something (use cookies) instead of doing nothing?  Just curious...

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sunny,

We are considering implanting this method of submission prevention.  Part of our concern before implementing is ensuring that the solution, while not perfect, would be acceptable to users and that when it's released, we can appropriately describe the scenarios in which it will and won't work.

0 Kudos
Temple_Digital_DeliveryTeam
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Please has this now been implemented?

Baba

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Baba,

Yes, the ability to limit users to only submit one survey response is available in the Survey123 Website, see documentation here: Share survey—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation .

Regards,

Phil.