Keep getting send error operation rolled back

Jump to solution
01-04-2021 01:29 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi all was hoping for some help if possible. i have built a survey that has the ability to capture points, lines and polygons. It gets published ok but when i fill out the survey keep getting a "operation roll back" error. Have read lots of the posts and have tried many of the suggestions though still cannot get it to work. I assume that there is something "simple" i am not doing - any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated . I have attached the XLS Form for context

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you check that your're using the latest versions of Survey123 Connect and the Survey123 field app?

This error is often encountered when values are invalid for the feature service fields e.g. too long a string for the string field, or  inserting string values into a numeric field.

Looking at your XLSForm I see that we've placed a lot bindings on the fields. Are these required and correct? 

Also - with the choices list, you'd don't need to create a list for each question if the values are the same. For example, you can use the same yes_no list across 2 or more questions requiring yes or no answers. This will reduce the number of domains in your service.

Cheers, Chris

View solution in original post

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chris 

Thanks for your suggestions Chris. I got the survey to work in the end . I remove all the bindings and this seem to solve the problem.

And no Chris I am not using the latest version of Survey123 Connect as the government department I work in has an in credibly strict fire wall protocols as it contains private information of personal and commercial value so they don't just allow any of the latest updates without extensive testing of the security protocols. I currently use 3.7.60 for connect and 3.7.56 for field app. Hoping to upgrade to 3.11 for both soon - once testing is complete.

Also I do need all the lists for all the questions as the data may be transposed into compliance documents that may end up in court actions and legal procedures. So each domain can be important.

Thanks for your help

Jonathan 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you check that your're using the latest versions of Survey123 Connect and the Survey123 field app?

This error is often encountered when values are invalid for the feature service fields e.g. too long a string for the string field, or  inserting string values into a numeric field.

Looking at your XLSForm I see that we've placed a lot bindings on the fields. Are these required and correct? 

Also - with the choices list, you'd don't need to create a list for each question if the values are the same. For example, you can use the same yes_no list across 2 or more questions requiring yes or no answers. This will reduce the number of domains in your service.

Cheers, Chris

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chris 

Thanks for your suggestions Chris. I got the survey to work in the end . I remove all the bindings and this seem to solve the problem.

And no Chris I am not using the latest version of Survey123 Connect as the government department I work in has an in credibly strict fire wall protocols as it contains private information of personal and commercial value so they don't just allow any of the latest updates without extensive testing of the security protocols. I currently use 3.7.60 for connect and 3.7.56 for field app. Hoping to upgrade to 3.11 for both soon - once testing is complete.

Also I do need all the lists for all the questions as the data may be transposed into compliance documents that may end up in court actions and legal procedures. So each domain can be important.

Thanks for your help

Jonathan 

0 Kudos
Galen_S_MnDOT
Occasional Contributor

Hello @Anonymous User -
I'm getting the same error that you reported at the start of this thread.  I just wanted to confirm what "removing bindings" mean in this case: do you mean clearing all the values in the 'bind::esri:fieldType' column, 'bind::esri:fieldLength', etc, or were you able to get away with clearing only one of those columns?

My 'fieldType' and 'fieldLength' columns are populated because for the current version of my form I had to start with an existing AGOL hosted feature layer, and the 'bind::esri:parameters' column has a couple cells filled because I have two repeats; one that needs to be queried and updated, and one that needs to only be queried.

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Galen S.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Galen,

I have seen this error indicate the edit against the feature cannot be completed, so the edit operation is rolled back. In Jonathan's case, I guessed that the field bindings were invalid with the question/response being submitted.

For example, you can have a 'text' question, which by default would create a string field with 255 length. If you manually set the esri field bindings, you could instead make the underlying field 'integer' or reduce the length. This would then cause an issue if submitting text/string responses. They can't be completed - as text input is not valid for an integer field - and the edit operation that occurs on survey submission gets rolled back. For more information and an example please see:

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000022634

As this thread is completed I would recommend creating a new post to gather more viewers and then include the below as well as what other context can be provided:

• Survey123 version 
  • XLSForm
  • Publishing context (is it a new survey, or are you republishing)
  • Steps to cause the issue (i.e. is it a specific question or workflow)

There could be other reasons why this issue is occurring. For example, new Survey123 Connect form (v 3.13) on an older version of Survey123 Field app, where the new question formats are not supported.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos