Issue with Repeaters being Submitted when they have not been exposed

12-15-2016 09:55 AM
JakeMatthys
Occasional Contributor II

We utilize a number or forms that have repeaters that are exposed based on relevant answers to previous questions.  In some of these forms (but not all), we are observing that the repeat is submitting data (meta data only, parentrowid, editor,edit date, etc) when the repeat itself is not relevant (and should not be submitting data), is that correct.  We are trying to identify why some of our forms are behaving like this and the only difference between the forms that do not submit the repeater and those that submit and 'empty' repeater are those that submit the 'empty' repeater were edited and published using Survey123Connect 1.9.24, while the forms that do not submit a repeater were last edited/published with an older version of Survey123Connect.  I can't verify that the version of Survery123Connect is the cause, but I wanted to present the issue to see if anyone in the user community has also had this experience.

Thanks,

- Jake

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jake,

Thanks for reporting this- I was able to verify this behavior and will check to see if a previous version did not exhibit this as you describe.  In the meantime, a workaround might be to give the repeat the appearance of 'minimal' - this will prevent the submission of empty forms, though the user will need to click the '+' button to begin collecting the first repeat.

0 Kudos
JakeMatthys

Hi James,

Thanks for the workaround idea, and please follow up with more information on a resolution as it becomes available.

Thanks,

- Jake

0 Kudos
JakeMatthys

James Tedrick

Hi James,

We are experiencing this issue again with version 2.4.  We did not experience this issue with version 2.3.  

As a refresher, here is the issue that we are experiencing.

We have a select multiple that drives the exposure of a number of repeaters in a survey form.

Each repeater has a relevant based on the answer to the select multiple question above.  What we are observing is that the repeats that are not exposed, are submitting data (meta data only, parentrowid, editor,edit date, etc) when the repeat itself is not relevant (and should not be submitting data).  

We can employ the workaround that you suggested above (make repeater appearance = minimum), but we would prefer not to do this because it changes the way our users interact with the form.  This issue did not occur in version 2.3 (we have tested version 2.3 and version 2.4 side by side for comparison) and we would like to know if this is considered a bug, or if we should go ahead and pursue the workaround described above.

Thanks, 

- Jake

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jake,

This is considered a bug, though I am surprised to hear you report that you were not able to duplicate it in 2.3 - to my knowledge (and I actually had been working on it), this was still present in 2.3 .  For now, the workaround is the way to address the issue.

0 Kudos