Is there some way to turn off survey image selectability?

02-24-2020 03:07 PM
GerryPerrier1
New Contributor

The following "functionality" is very distracting to end-users. I'd like to disable it, if possible: "Selecting an image in a survey presents a full-screen view of the image. Return to the survey using the back button in the upper left corner."--from Survey123 documentation on "Images".

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gerry,

Did you refer to the function which allow users to select images from a folder and would like to disable this and limit users to just take images from camera only?

If it's true, we had an existing enhancement request logged for this:

ENH-000116753 Allow disable the upload image from device's files in survey 123.

I encourage you to contact Esri Support. Our Support team will assign an official enhancement number for your records. Similar requests from other customers can then be attached to the same enhancement request, which helps us assess demand for the enhancement and prioritize it accordingly.

0 Kudos
GerryPerrier1
New Contributor

The issue I'm referring to is that I have embedded images in my survey (media::image) to visually differentiate groups of questions. If a user is filling out a survey and inadvertently clicks on an image, the image is enlarged onscreen, and the user has to back out of it in order to resume the survey. It's similar to the experience you get when you're reading a news feed on a mobile device and accidentally click on an ad. It disrupts the survey flow and is causing great annoyance to my users. If there's no way to disable this, I may have to remove the images, which is unfortunate because they really do give the survey some "polish". 

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gerry,

Unfortunately, currently you can't disable the image access but you might be able to workaround it by using the appearance column to adjust the layout of the questions with your images. That way user won't easily click the image by accident, such as minimal setting for select one question. Or you may want to put the image in Note as read-only. 

0 Kudos