Is there anyway to use an alternate camera app in Survey123?s

02-02-2018 11:59 AM
JimTolbert
New Contributor III

There is an app for iPhone and android called Solocator.  This app prints the street address or gps location of the camera on the face of the photo.  You can also add the direction the camera is facing and the elevation to the 8mage face, along with the project name etc.   This would be ideal for the Damage Assessment, Public Works, and Welfare Check apps I am working on.

Is it possible to write a python script that would call Solocator rather than the native camera app?  

Does anyone have another suggestion for a way to approach the problem?

Many thanx......jt

#Solocator. #Survey123. #AlternateCamera

Tags (1)
11 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jim 

It is possible to launch another camera app from Survey123 by putting a url in the calculation field of a note question.

This is an example from the Trek2There sample availble in Connect.

concat('<a href="arcgis-trek2there://?stop=',${lat},',',${lon},'">Launch Smart Compass</a>')

However, IOS requires the whitelisting of the apps that Survey123 can launch, and at the moment we have not whitelisted any external camera apps. At the moment your best option is to open the Solocator app, take the photo and save it to the device. You can then use an image question in Survey123 to open, attach and submit the photo with the survey

Please note that we do have an enhancement request open that would provide the ability to save text in the captured image and I will add your request to it.

Thanks

John

JimTolbert
New Contributor III

Thanx for the note. What would it take to get Solocator whitelisted? Is there info the developer can provide? Do you have any indication of the relative priority of the feature request or time it might be considered? Many thanx.... jt

Jim Tolbert

Burnett County Emergency Management

Siren, WI. 54872

715-222-9376 voice/text

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
JimTolbert
New Contributor III

Following up on this......   is there any request I can put it in or place to make a case for “whitelisting” an app?  Is there information the developer can provide?  Thanx much.... jt

Jim Tolbert
Siren, WI. 54872
715-222-9376 voice/text

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jim - we have this as an open enhancement request which is currently under review.

Can you confirm that the app supports being launched by another app, and if so what is the url to launch it, and does it support any parameters?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
JimTolbert
New Contributor III

I will find out.

Jim Tolbert

Siren, WI. 54872

715-222-9376 voice/text

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
JimTolbert
New Contributor III

Hi Johnathan…………

I think Solocator is ready to go in terms of being ready to be launched by another app.  Can we take this off conversation to email and off the forum?  I would like to connect you, or someone in ESRI, and the app developer so required evaluations can be completed. 

Thanx much………….. jt

Jim Tolbert, Director

7410 County K, #127

Siren, WI  54872

715-222-9376  24 hr Emergency Contact  voice/text

jtolbert@burnettcounty.org

0 Kudos
JimTolbert
New Contributor III

Hi Johnathan…………

Can you please send me a note to say that this reached you?

I think Solocator is ready to go in terms of being ready to be launched by another app.  Can we take this off conversation to email and off the forum?  I would like to connect you, or someone in ESRI, and the app developer so required evaluations can be completed. 

Thanx much………….. jt

Jim Tolbert, Director

7410 County K, #127

Siren, WI  54872

JimTolbert
New Contributor III

Hi Johnathan…………

Thanx much………….. jt

Jim Tolbert, Director

7410 County K, #127

Siren, WI  54872

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Jim -  Will drop you an email today.