Is there a way to launch Survey B after completing Survey A and pass information from Survey A to B?

Jump to solution
12-23-2021 08:35 AM
SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

I have a point feature with a related table of a 1 to many relationship.  The point features are storm water outfalls and the table are inspections.  

Survey A  populates the point feature and allows the user to add supplemental information to the outfall.  My plan is to use the inbox feature for the user to pick an existing outfall and add the associated information via survey123.  I need to use survey123 for this, so I can filter multiple choice answers etc etc.  I'm using functionality that isn't yet available in field maps (otherwise I would start there)

Survey B populates the inspection table.  Typically my workflow for this would start in collector, the user would select the outfall they want to inspect, then they would select the custom URL in the popup to launch Survey123 and pass Outfall information to the inspection.  

Since this is round one of collecting basic outfall info (Survey A) and they need to do an inspection (Survey B).  It would be nice if they didn't have to switch back and forth between apps since they're going to end up back in Survey123 anyway. 

ie. Survey 123 (Survey A) -> Back to Collector -> Survey123 (Survey B)

I know in the Survey123 website, you can see up a thank you screen and prompt the user to submit another survey.  It would be great if at this point, I could add my custom URL to immeditaly launch Survey B and pass information without going back to Collector first. 

Is this possible? Or is there something else that would function this way?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Survey123 now supports using URL parameters in the field app. For example:

arcgis-survey123://?itemId=36ff9e8c13e042a58cfce4ad87f55d19&field:surname=${surname}&callback=arcgis-survey123://?itemID=bdca71984d4c45468d0a8861a08xxxx

The URL above will open the survey B (referenced by ID) and fill out the surname question with the surname field from survey A and then redirect back to the survey A.

The URL can be generated dynamically using Survey123's calculations and displayed as a note type question for end users to click on.

Please find more details on the URL parameters to test out here:

Best regards,
Kanin 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kanin! This should solve my problem!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can do it but Survey A will stay open in the background until you are done with B and then it returns to it.  They could then forget to save A possibly.

Other option is save/send A, then open it back up from the Outbox and launch the link.  That way A is saved.

Hope that helps.

Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Survey123 now supports using URL parameters in the field app. For example:

arcgis-survey123://?itemId=36ff9e8c13e042a58cfce4ad87f55d19&field:surname=${surname}&callback=arcgis-survey123://?itemID=bdca71984d4c45468d0a8861a08xxxx

The URL above will open the survey B (referenced by ID) and fill out the surname question with the surname field from survey A and then redirect back to the survey A.

The URL can be generated dynamically using Survey123's calculations and displayed as a note type question for end users to click on.

Please find more details on the URL parameters to test out here:

Best regards,
Kanin 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" to help others who have the same question.

0 Kudos
SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kanin! This should solve my problem!!

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why would you need  callback when you are already in 123?  It will go back to the last form without the callback.  Interested to know.  I use callbacks for Field Maps to 123 just not sure why it is needed to itself?

I have asked the 123 team to look at having more than one form open at a time and they are thinking it over.

thanks

SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

So I personally don't have a problem switching between collector and survey123.  But I'm trying to make things as easy as possible for the people who are resistant to mobile applications.  So my thinking is, the less clicks the user has to do, the better.  My workflow involves a point feature where the user can populate attributes in Survey123 using the Inbox feature.  After they hit "submit," I'd like survey123 to prompt to user to perform an inspection on the point feature, which would then open the inspection survey.  I think I'll just end up using the call back function to Collector and have 2 separate custom URLs.  One for adding attributes using the inbox feature and one for performing the inspection (that passes attributes to the survey).

I'd love to do everything in fieldmaps but the survey component is lacking features that are in Survey123, so I can't do the full switch yet.  For example, being able to add choice filter.  

0 Kudos