Is it possible to use select_one and pulldata() together?

Jump to solution
03-01-2017 10:56 AM
KaceyCummings
New Contributor II

I am pre-populating a survey using the pulldata() function and was hoping to use it in conjunction with choice lists (in the event that the native data needs to be updated). It looks like this is not a possibility. In fact, pre-populated fields with type = text will no longer populate when the select_one feature is added to a different field using the pulldata calc. 

Any suggestions/workarounds?

0 Kudos
40 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ryan,

In terms of automating, this is possible - it would essentially be an extension/modification of Updating the media folder of a Survey123 Form item .  Currently, the form would need to be manually updated on the device to update the values for users.

Carolyn_Novak
New Contributor II

Are we closer to having dynamic selects for multiple choice questions?  I have a survey that has over 10,000 choices and it takes over 2 minutes to load.

Thank you

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Carolyn,

We don't have plans to address this in the near term.  Could you describe how the 10,000 choices in a select_multiple work within your form?  Have you given thought to splitting them into separate questions that show based on relevance?

Carolyn_Novak
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  This project is growing weekly.  It started off very small so I'm sure I've taken a few wrong turns along the way.  FDOT expects reports on our sidewalks for ADA purposes.  I was tasked with recreating their current process and adding the FDOT specs. 

What I have now is exactly what they want.  I was able to incorporate every feature they asked for using Survey123.  The only problem is that it's so slow they aren't going to want to use it.  The engineers made it a  requirement that  every county road is to be part of a drop down and I had to do this 3 times!  They aren't going to budge on this and it's killing the app.  I tried pre-loading from a .CSV but I couldn't get that to work.  I'm attaching the folder: Sidewalks/Sidewalk Field Inspection.zip  and I am also in the process of setting up  a website set up for the Inspectors for general information i.e, the FDOT reports: Sidewalk Field Inspection and Inventory | Sidewalk Data | or how to use the app: Sidewalk Field Inspection and Inventory | Home 

I hope this explains the project better and I'm sure I'm approaching the roads incorrectly.

this is all in BETA

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Carolyn, 

The select_multiple dropdown is a list of the county's roads?  Id there a reason it's a select_multiple as opposed to a select_one?  Is there a limit to the total number of roads to be selected?

In other similar inspections, typically the list of roads is a select_one; this can then be used with a cascading select to have an initial filter (district within the county, for example) reduce the list before it is loaded into the form.  This greatly increases the speed of the list.  If multiple streets are needed to be recorded (if, say, you are looking at an intersection), then multiple select_one questions can be used (or, alternatively, instead of listing the roads, listing the intersections in a select_one).

Carolyn_Novak
New Contributor II

I love your idea about the districts.  We can have inspector areas that use the cascading select.  Thank you so very much.  The engineers are going to be very happy!

RobertMarros
Occasional Contributor II

All, 

I have noticed that if my select_one is set as Hidden (not displaying in my survey due to a relevancy) then it can NOT be pre-populate by a PULLDATA calculation. If I set the type to Note instead of select_one then it can be pre-populated by a PULLDATA Calculation. Is there anyway I can prepopulate a select_one question that has a relevancy making it not appear in my survey?

Please see the row highlighted in yellow

Thanks

Steven

James Tedrick@survey123Survey123 for ArcGISIs it possible to use select_one and pulldata() together? survey123calculations‌ 

JamesTedrick

Hi Robert,

If a question is non-relevant, it cannot be calculated; non-relevance means that no calculations will occur or data be stored for a question.

0 Kudos
RobertMarros
Occasional Contributor II

James,

That is what I thought. So as long as it remains as "hidden" in my survey, or non-relevant, it will never be able to be calculated or store data for that particular question.

I guess I will have to come up with a workaround.

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I use the hidden type for this.  Then I usually add a if(otherfield <> ''; calc, '').  So basically you build the relevant check into the calculation.  If the "relevant" field is blank do nothing, but if it has data then do the calc.  Note for numbers use string-length=0 to check for a blank.

Also watch out for the old bug of defaults.  A field with a relevant will be blank - unless it has a default then it will load the default even if it is hidden.