Is it possible to track where surveyors go in Survey123?

Jump to solution
11-29-2018 03:24 PM
DarraghO_Keeffe2
New Contributor II

Is it possible to enable a Location Tracking Feature Layer (hosted) for Survey123 that drops 'breadcrumbs' in a similar fashion to how location tracking is enabled in Collector?

Track where collectors go—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
megan_r
Esri Contributor

Hello Darragh,

In Survey123, you can "track surveys" by adding a geopoint question to your Survey. By default, the Survey123 field app tries to capture the location of your device. If your device provides a location, it will be used as the default location. By also enabling Editor Tracking on the Survey's feature service, you will be able to see when data is collected and by whom it is collected. That being said, this will just be a point associated with the survey record, not "bread crumbs." 

Survey123 only supports using one layer at a time, so you cannot have both the survey's feature layer AND a tracking layer at this point in time. Consider checking out the GeoNet Ideas Page Location tracking in Survey123 - you can up vote the idea and contribute your own ideas to it as well!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
megan_r
Esri Contributor

Hello Darragh,

In Survey123, you can "track surveys" by adding a geopoint question to your Survey. By default, the Survey123 field app tries to capture the location of your device. If your device provides a location, it will be used as the default location. By also enabling Editor Tracking on the Survey's feature service, you will be able to see when data is collected and by whom it is collected. That being said, this will just be a point associated with the survey record, not "bread crumbs." 

Survey123 only supports using one layer at a time, so you cannot have both the survey's feature layer AND a tracking layer at this point in time. Consider checking out the GeoNet Ideas Page Location tracking in Survey123 - you can up vote the idea and contribute your own ideas to it as well!

DarraghO_Keeffe2
New Contributor II

I managed to get the result I was looking for. It's a bit of a hack, but here it is.....

1. Created a 1 field point layer for Collector that has a hyperlink to the Survey123 form. The point is placed at the assigned survey location starting point. This then launches the survey from Collector via the popup.

2. Added a Location Tracking Feature Layer (hosted) to the Collector map. This gives the desired 'breadcrumb' effect which allows a dispatcher to monitor surveyors movements in the field via a web map in a dashboard.

Gisou
by
New Contributor II

Hello Darragh,

I am going to develop a Geo App that I want to ask users to start recording their track(walked paths) and end their tour and right after that fill out survey 123 regarding the quality of the path.

So, I want to create an APP with tracking ability and survey followed back by finishing the tour. 

Could you please tell me how can I do this.

What do mean by "Created a 1 field point layer for Collector"? what is Collector map? 

could you explain it to me?

0 Kudos