Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to extend the inbox limit in survey 123 ?

Jump to solution
08-08-2023 03:11 AM
Labels (1)
DanielLeón81
Emerging Contributor

I need to use the survey inbox because I need to edit my 40,000+ data but it only allows me to view 5000. Is there an alternative to extend the inbox limit?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

No, this is a technical limitation. But there are workflow alternatives. Why do you need all 40,000 records offline at once? 

You could split your data across multiple surveys based on category.

You can use a custom URL from an external source (field maps) to query and pull down records as required using url parameters.

Or apply a filter so that only the most relevant records are pulled down.

e.g. you have 40,000 assets you need to maintain. You could split them into 20 sections and do one section at a time based on an active field.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

No, this is a technical limitation. But there are workflow alternatives. Why do you need all 40,000 records offline at once? 

You could split your data across multiple surveys based on category.

You can use a custom URL from an external source (field maps) to query and pull down records as required using url parameters.

Or apply a filter so that only the most relevant records are pulled down.

e.g. you have 40,000 assets you need to maintain. You could split them into 20 sections and do one section at a time based on an active field.

0 Kudos
DanielLeón81
Emerging Contributor

Thank you for your response.

Is it possible in arcgis survey to divide the layer in sections to make the visits ? If possible, is there any documentation for this?

We must have all the records because eventually we will go to the field to verify the coordinates.

I am also looking at the possibility of using ArcGIS Field Maps. But I would like to know if it is possible the question I ask above.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
  1. Identify areas that break down your data into sections well under 5000. E.g. if a suburb only contains 1000-2000 features, break it down by suburb. 
  2. Create a hosted feature layer view for each suburb. Apply a view filter by suburb. (or use the survey123 connect inbox filter...)
  3. Publish a survey for each suburb. Name them accordingly and target the view with filter (or apply a filter for survey123
  4. You now have ~10 surveys, one for each suburb, and users could download all survey records for that suburb by refreshing the inbox on that survey form.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/working-with-existing-feature-services-in-arcgis...

It's not perfect, but will also help users not have to download all the data at once. they can focus on their area. You'll have to identify how to break down your data 

You could also just have the users query the inbox using the map to download up to 5000 records based on the area they are looking at. but users would need to know how to do this.

If you are in an online area, field maps is the way to go. It will let you use a custom URL to pull down your data into survey123 as required. You also need to be online to see existing photos in Survey123.

0 Kudos