In Survey123, is it possible to require user to select from the locator list?

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 03:56 PM
AaronPDXPaul
New Contributor III

In Survey123, is it possible to require user to select from the locator list?

By default, a user can submit text, rather than a list generated by the locator.

This allows for "bad entries/locations" to be submitted.

Then the point location can end up in a different state or country.

How can we force users to pick from the locator list?

Thank you,

Aaron

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @AaronPDXPaul

You can use an address question that exclusively uses a custom locator so that the user can only select locations from the specific locator. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @AaronPDXPaul

You can use an address question that exclusively uses a custom locator so that the user can only select locations from the specific locator. 

Thank you,
Zach
AaronPDXPaul
New Contributor III

Hi Zachary,

Thank you for the tip.

I must be missing something.

I tested out the Address Choice and it still allows me to escape out of the address without selecting from the list.

Is there a setting or do I have to configure a locator to not allow not choosing from the list?

The issue is, users can type part of an address, then ,ove on to another question or click submit.

If the address is not complete, like it is selecting from a list, the address is invalid.

For instance. I can type in 121 Library.

Then decide to click in another question, then click submit.

Who knows where the point will drop if the only info it has is 121 Library.

Do you have a solution for this?

Thank you again,

Aaron

0 Kudos
LaurenceTait
Occasional Contributor II

At some point you just have to trust your users. Even if you do force them to select an address from the list, if they are paying so little attention that they are entering half completed addresses like "121 Library" then you can't trust that an address that they have selected is correct.

Your best option is to place a constraint on the geolocations that can be submitted. That way you can at least be assured that the geolocation is in the correct state or country. I've attached an example below.

LaurenceTait_0-1664150373293.pngLaurenceTait_1-1664150397540.png

But if you have the type of operators that are submitting partial addresses, you still can't really trust  the results. The only way to deal with that is better training. You can force people to enter values within a certain range, but you can't force them to enter correct values.

AaronPaul5
New Contributor II

The users are The Public. I can't train the public, because they're not employees. I will try formatting the questions response, as you suggested. But it seems like this is a flaw in the design of Survey123. Many Survey123 Forms have a location question. My hope is that there is some way of forcing the user to pick from the locators list of choice. Or do something like what Google does, just find the closest match in the area in which the Survey was submitted